Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionAs a Tooling Engineer at Dyson, you will take the role of consultant, working across the engineering team to ensure their designs are process capable.
Things move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines.
And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewIt’s one thing to solve a problem that’ll change technology forever. But turning that idea into a reality takes solving many more problems – and success is ultimately measured, not by the thinking, but by the product. Our Manufacturing department supports over 1,000 Dyson engineers worldwide turning ideas into groundbreaking technology. Involved early in the design, we identify materials, pre-empt production issues and find ways to build more efficiently. Yet robustly. From designing the machines, to the machines that build the machines, we’re helping to shape the future of technology.
- Give good individual and collective technical advice to a number of designers of differing capabilities
- Supporting engineers with their part designs and making sure the designed part is process capable
- Discuss multiple process disciplines such as injection moulding, Die cast, Rubber compression, BMC/DMC moulding, Press steel, etc.
- Give part design solutions to help with tool design and foreseeable tooling functional problems which may occur in Operations
- Place, progress and assist in the trialling of some tooling within the UK making sure they follow good practice and company standards, while also being cost effective
- Liaise with other Dyson design offices globally and the subsequent design and tooling teams; giving, receiving and passing on technical information which will help in establishing good efficient and robust tooling
- Attend cross functional meetings along with other subject matter experts giving guidance where necessary
- HNC or equivalent in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering with a formal engineering apprenticeship, or a recognised formal training in Engineering
- Working knowledge of 3D CAD design
- Working knowledge of 3D CAM and machine programming to manufacture all types of process tooling
- In-depth knowledge of many types of tooling functions
- Knowledge of many types of part manufacturing Processes used and part manufacturing techniques which are associated with different processes types
- Understanding of hard copy drawings of all types of process tooling etc.
- In-depth knowledge of machine tool manufacturing and production activities
- Injection mould tooling and associated tooling design and manufacture
- Processing of Injection moulding polymers
- Thin wall injection moulding
- Rubber compression and associated tooling design and manufacture
- Press tooling and associated tooling design and manufacture
- Good understanding of engineering process materials used