Technician - New Technology Research
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Bonus, Pension
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionIt's one to thing to be able to assemble something, but another thing to be able to diagnose faults and repair them. You will work within the New Technology Research team at Dyson and will be predominantly laboratory and workshop based. The position will centre on rig build and test method development, working closely with engineers from Research and NPI to deliver test rigs and prototypes for new category development. Key to this will be practical problem solving and a collaborative approach.
Things move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines.
And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
Function OverviewIt takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each of product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, we lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why anyone can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
- Assist the delivery of test rigs and prototypes
- Enable the delivery of test methodology
- Ensuring that good working practises are followed in the laboratory/workshop environment
- Apply your practical engineering knowledge to solve problems, working closely with engineers
- Adapt your approach to an ever changing environment; this role will vary week to week
- Passion for practical engineering
- Comfortable with working in a fast paced environment
- Willingness to learn new skills and methodologies
- Demonstrable practical / 'hands on' skills
- Machine shop experience (mill and lathe)
- Basic mechatronics/automation skills
- Knowledge of electrical/electronics