Structural Analysis Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
Malmesbury, UK, United Kingdom
DescriptionWorking within a small team of engineers, you will support our design teams during development of new products, ensuring they meet our high integrity and reliability standards. This will involve the use of FEA tools, hand calculations, materials testing and experimentation, to turn our next generation ideas into working products.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with over 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Dyson products are built to last, as well as perform. To do this we invest heavily in performance and reliability testing, building our own machines to test our machines. 24 hours a day, seven days a week we put them through their paces. We analyse data and customer feedback, relentlessly improving product safety, reliability, usability and customer satisfaction. Each generation of Dyson technology must set the benchmark for the next. And with so many new categories on the way, our Global Quality & Reliability team will need to be more inventive than ever. Vital to Dyson’s future technology.
It takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each of product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, we lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why anyone can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
- Supporting new product development by identifying and resolving structural issues
- Use of FEA software (such as ANSYS and Moldflow) to explore and implement design improvements
- Use of ad-hoc hand calculations and experiments to validate results and substantiate engineering decisions
- Delivery of internal ANSYS training and mentoring use of the software within our design teams
- Pro-actively resolving critical reliability, manufacturing and product safety issues
- Investigating new analysis and experimentation techniques, improving model validation and accuracy
- A degree in mechanical engineering
- Competence in the use and application of CAE tools to assist design development (ideally ANSYS and Moldflow)
- Experience in a range of specialist analysis techniques, such as static, vibration, explicit dynamic, thermal and injection moulding simulation
- Sound knowledge of mechanical properties, failure mechanisms and processing of common engineering materials
- Ability to communicate analytical results to designers, senior management and engineering teams in the Far East
- Creative and methodical problem solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritise key activities according to project timescales
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.