Lead Software Solution Architect - IoT connectivity cloud
Global HQ, Malmesbury - South Cotswolds, 30 mins from Bath/Bristol area, United Kingdom
Connected appliances, part of the internet of things and cloud data are part of our future. Join us and you’ll have the chance to play your part in it. Applying creative thinking and cutting-edge systems to shape the smart technology of tomorrow.
We have a position open for a software Solution Architect who will define the back-end software systems supporting our most complex connected product yet. Working alongside the development team, the successful candidate will take responsibility for the off-product software architecture, ensuring this meets the program requirements and interfaces seamlessly with our product as well as the existing Dyson IT and connectivity ecosystems.
Come and join Dyson as we continue to develop our world of connected products.
The Solution Architect will be responsible for the following:
- Define the off-product architecture, driving this forward from concept, through delivery and on to launch.
- Own the strategy and roadmap for off-product software architecture.
- Ensure the platform meets requirements: functional, non-functional, security, etc.
- Work within the program team, alongside other Connectivity and IT Architects, and the Security Team to develop a best-in-class platform architecture.
- As key technical owner for the architecture, represent the architecture in technical discussions.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field to ensure we keep the architecture up-to-date and relevant
- Communicate direction to the development team and monitor development to ensure this meets the defined architecture.
- Drive the verification and validation strategy
- Document the solution (top level and detailed)
- Hands-on development of proof-of-concepts
- Work with suppliers to assess their services and role in developing the connected platform
- Work with project stakeholders to understand and capture the requirements for an evolving connectivity platform.
This is a highly technical role – the successful candidate will have exceptional technical skills and significant experience in developing and deploying robust and scalable multi-functional hardware / software solutions.
As the key technical owner for off-product architecture they will demonstrate the following:
- Degree in Computer Science or similar
- Strong demonstrable experience developing, rolling-out and maintaining multi-functional software / hardware systems e.g. Internet of Things, Connected Products or similar
- Experience using cloud based platforms to develop systems for IOT or connected products. The ideal candidate will have experience across multiple industry-leading cloud platforms (AWS, Bluemix, Azure, etc) understanding their relative pros and cons with sufficient broad development experience to specialise in one of these areas quickly.
A proven ability to design cloud solutions with multiple components, preferably with some experience doing this for connected product or IOT system
The successful candidate will demonstrate a clear focus on best practices for high quality software development; clear design principles, good quality code and documentation, a focus on test, measuring quality using metrics and KPIs, etc. As this is a relatively new development programme, some experience rolling out and championing best practices will be essential.
- Some insight into Infrastructure as Code and other DevOps methodologies would be an advantage.
- Good understanding into principles of development of native iPhone/Android applications.
As well as these technical competencies, by taking ownership and playing a pivotal role in our growing team you will display the following:
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast changing environment with can-do attitude.
- Start-up mentality, dynamic, independent.