Software Team Lead - Emerging Technologies
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
Malmesbury, UK, United Kingdom
DescriptionWe have a technical team lead role for a software development team that will augment our existing development teams to deliver our next generation of connected products. This is likely to be a medium sized team of dedicated software developers, which are capable of developing software to leverage the possibilities offered by state of the art communications hardware. Once the team is assembled you will drive the team to success across multiple projects, and maintain the team’s effectiveness through coaching, mentoring and training.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with over 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. In 2017 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewIn the future, the way technology is controlled will be integral to how it performs. Dyson software engineers are already transforming the way our owners interact with their machines. Our first connected robot vacuum launched in 2014 and its companion app takes cleaning into the digital era. Scheduling cleans. Reviewing mapping data. Diagnosing technical issues. Our new technology is advancing at speed. Network-based robotics and intelligent sensing technologies, all enabled by advanced software and app platforms. And all cementing Dyson’s place as a pioneering global technology organisation.
• Build and maintain a highly effective software team
• Liaise with other stakeholders within Dyson to deliver products in line with the connectivity roadmap and strategy
• Hands on within your team to enable them to successfully deliver in line with the agreed roadmap
• Day to day line management of your software team, including coaching, mentoring and training
• Own and drive communications software across Dyson connected products.
• Provide input into the generation of the connectivity roadmap and strategy
• Experience of developing real-time embedded products
• RTOS and embedded OS experience e.g. FreeRTOS, ThreadX, Linux etc.
• Experience in high level programming and scripting languages including: C/C++ and Python
• Experience in one or more of the following: WiFi (802.11), Bluetooth V4.x, ZigBee, 802.15.4, 3GPP, MQTT
• Knowledge and use of UML
• Agile (Scrum) experience
• Demonstrable experience in technical leadership in difficult and complex projects
• Ability to prioritize and manage workload (both your own and others).
• Strong communication skills and the ability to build strong relationships with others
• Experience in building high performance teams
• Experience of Atlassian Development and Collaboration tools (JIRA, Confluence, Stash etc.)
• Experience of using Enterprise Architect
• Project management experience
• Certified scrum master