Senior Test and Validation Engineer
£ competitive + 27 days holiday + pension + bonus
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionDyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Senior Mechanical Engineer in the Motors, Power and Electronic Systems Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K.
Reporting to the Mechanical Manager, you will join a growing team of multi-disciplined engineers in Dyson’s Technical Research Group focussing on the next generation of advanced / high performance electric motors for new and existing categories demonstrating new core technology and a complete system design approach. The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to integrating mechanical, aerodynamic and electromagnetic concepts while considering the impact on performance and cost.
- Stretch the boundaries of speed, power/torque density and efficiency in electric motor systems in a number of different applications
- Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry. Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each project that would make a great product
- Deliver mechanical solutions that are reliable and fit for purpose to satisfy life requirements and to help achieve product guarantee periods and comply with all relevant International Standards •Generate innovative / novel solutions with strong / high value IP for Dyson products
- Work closely with the other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project
- Optimise product performance and solve complex engineering problems
- Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members
- Have the ability to assess and handle supplier relationships with technical and commercial negotiations, maintaining confidence in BOM and assembly costs throughout a project
- Contribute to time planning and manage your time in line with project deadlines.
Education and experience:
- Minimum BEng/MEng degree (2:1 degree or better) in Mechanical Engineering with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
- Significant experience of motor testing techniques at both system and component level
- Familiarity with testing for validation and verification. (build the right product and build the product right).
- Ability to devise lab based measurement techniques and have a strong command of analysis software and equipment for component and system level characterisation and validation
- Ability to specify testing systems to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Appreciation of complying with national, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation.
- Knowledge of test bed automation software
- Ability to develop the requirements into a test plan.
- Quality processes including DFMEA, DoE, failure analysis/problem solving capability
- PhD in a relevant field is highly desirable due to the University based PhD research elements
- Testing equipment selection
Essential behavioural skills:
- The ability to deliver results within a project with little micro management
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values that would result in great Dyson products
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
- Excellent team working skills.