Robotic Grasping and Manipulation Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionDyson's robotics team is growing - fast. This is an opportunity to join Dyson's ambitious robotics research programme where you will help develop novel grasping and manipulation technology. The technology you develop will feed into Dyson’s future autonomous and intelligent consumer products. You will be working in a multi disciplinary environment within a team of experts that is constantly aiming to improve itself and the world of robotics.
Market OverviewAdvanced robotics will change the world of engineering for good. At Dyson, we’ve been developing robot technology for over 15 years – 200 engineers, 420 patents and £28m has already gone into our first robot vacuum. But our Dyson 360 Eye™ robot is just the start. The team is advancing the systems that make our robots more intelligent – able to understand environments and navigate with complex sensors and algorithms. There’s more to discover. The future is robotic. All Dyson products will be part of the internet of things. And our Robotics team is helping us to unveil this next generation.
Function OverviewJoin a growing team working to put useful robotic systems into the homes of the general public. We are looking for people to help us investigate robust solutions to diverse real-world problems in machine perception, actuation, or intelligence. The role involves the research and development of systems for Dyson’s future autonomous and intelligent products. Successful candidates will be working in a supportive environment within a team of experts that is constantly aiming to improve itself and the world of robotics.
Your work will have a direct, tangible impact on Dyson's future products. Working in a team of Research engineers, you will be supported and encouraged to develop your Robotics skills, whilst having ownership of projects and influence over multidisciplinary teams at Dyson, such as Design.
- Creation of novel solutions to real world problems in robotics.
- Design, build and analyse robotics software and algorithms for grasping and manipulation.
- Systems integration of prototypes: testing and analysis of prototype mechanical, electronics, sensors, and software systems.
- Be a technical expert in manipulation who is able to work with a multidisciplinary team, leading the development of novel solutions.
- PhD in Robotics, Mechatronics or other relevant area.
- Experience in one of the following areas:
- Control algorithms for complex mechatronic platforms.
- Planning algorithms for complex robotic tasks.
- Applying modern machine learning techniques to robotic grasping or manipulation
- Ability to rapidly implement prototype solutions in a language appropriate for the problem.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to design and build early mechatronic prototypes.
- Knowledge of existing robotics software frameworks (e.g. ROS).
- Experience developing software in a Linux environment.
- Experience writing or using open-source libraries for robotics.