Senior Research Scientist - New Technology Research
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Bonus, Pension
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionThe Senior Research Scientist will define and optimise a formulation strategy and technology platform to deliver functional & stable proxy materials for performance testing of NPI prototypes.
Market OverviewDyson is a fast paced environment with high demands on quality and novel innovation. It is known for its fresh approach to Design. The Head of this team needs to thrive under pressure and be able to deftly juggle priorities and flex to the dynamic and agile environment that comes with this creative setting.
Function OverviewIt takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each of product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, we lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why anyone can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
The Senior Research Scientist will use their advanced level of knowledge in technical test method development in order to translate the test requirements into a formulation space, develop the formulation & prove success as a product performance measure.
The role will involve:
- Definition and alignment of formulated product performance specifications
- Design & production of formulated prototypes to meet agreed upon technical targets
- Research and development of lab based methods to gauge prototype stability & physical parameters
- Development of the technical test methods using the formulated prototypes
- Collection and reporting of results to aid project design decisions
- Collaboration with external material suppliers to identify relevant technologies & obtain samples
- Deliver specialist knowledge to Engineers and management team as part of project progress reviews
- Support marketing, sales and other functions with science knowledge as required.
- Significant experience in formulating polymeric and/or emulsion based products with focus on film forming technology, dry times optimisation and colorants.
- Experience & expertise in modelling ingredient performance against design specifications
- Demonstrated capability in method development to measure formulation performance
- Passion for science and problem solving in a product development context
- Creative problem solver who is intellectually sharp
- Willing to challenge assumptions or methods, pre-empt problems and find solutions
- Degree qualified in a relevant science or engineering discipline
- Extensive experience in research and development of formulated products (expertise in a cosmetics or paint sector would be beneficial)
- Persistent nature demonstrated by an inquisitive approach
- Experience of commercial R&D is essential