Senior Research Engineer - Method Development
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Bonus, Pension
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionAs the Senior Research Engineer, you will be within the New Technology Research team at Dyson and will centre on test methodology and rig design and build. The role requires an expert in mechanical and mechatronics development, with a strong emphasis on National Instruments LabVIEW on both hardware and software. You will have proven skills in documentation and validation to take projects from TRL 3 to TRL 7.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewIt takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each of product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, we lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why anyone can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
As a Senior Research Engineer, you will take a hands on role developing test facilities, to rigorously prove new technologies at Dyson. You will work with technicians and across other departments, particularly during transfer phases to ensure the quality of the test rigs and methods being transferred.
You will have the opportunity to influence the direction of projects and concepts and will conduct statistical and root cause analysis of test rigs and procedures.
- Development and refinement of test rigs and methods with emphasis on validation and documentation for transfer
- Translate creative concepts in to reality through hands on experimentation and development
- Delivery of resolved test rigs with documented performance capabilities and limitations
- Close working with Consumer Research and test team to ensure the quality and relevance of the rigs delivered
- Transfer of resolved test methods and rigs to the downstream test and development teams
- A passion for engineering and problem solving in a performance testing development context.
- Extensive LabVIEW experience
- Able to execute experimental programs, analyse the data, summarise findings and make recommendations.
- Willing to challenge assumptions or methods, pre-empt problems and find solutions.
- Degree qualified in a relevant science or engineering discipline
- Prototype and test rig design and build experience