Senior Procurement Manager
£Competitve + 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
Malmesbury, UK, United Kingdom
DescriptionWorking within RDD Procurement and part of the Global Supply Chain team, the Senior Procurement Manager – Direct Plant and Equipment will lead and develop sourcing of Plant and Equipment (P&E) to support Dyson New Product Development (NPD)
Things move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with over 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines.
And it’s just the start. In 2017 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Neodymium magnets. Aerospace-grade carbon fibre. PEEK high strength plastic. Just a few of the materials procured to build just one of our machines – the Dyson digital motor V2. But when you design unconventional machines, you need unconventional materials. The Procurement department works directly with RDD on Dyson’s most secret projects. Sourcing high quality materials, and finished components with demanding specifications, means tracking down niche suppliers. It requires tenacity, speed and efficiency to meet project milestones. In essence, we need to be as inventive as Dyson engineers.
- Lead and develop sourcing of Plant and Equipment (P&E) to support New Product Development (NPD). Ensuring completion to meet project/business needs and start of production.
- Lead the development of designated global category strategies & gain concurrence / consensus across all identified stakeholders.
- Lead the supplier selection and negotiation process, coordinating the relevant cross-functional team(s) and ensuring best value from the supply base.
- Ensure, following contract award, that appropriate supplier relationship and performance management processes are deployed to effectively manage contract adherence & performance.
- Support a continuous improvement program to advance procurement processes, governance and capabilities across the group.
- Work closely with the Plant and Equipment SEA team, and develop Procurement strategies to support the Business.
- Degree/CIPS qualified preferred
- Demonstrable experience in Plant and Equipment sourcing and exposure to New Product Development and project milestone processes
- Strong commercial background within a Manufacturing and/or Engineering background – experience in a relevant industry.
- Excellent communication skills for reporting to stakeholders at different levels
- The ability to challenge the norm and look for new ways of doing things
- A fair minded approach and ability to be totally objective essential.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills: to be able to assess problems thoroughly and drive logical conclusions (i.e. common sense and not embarrassed to ask supposedly “silly” questions).
- Strong process orientation to govern cost and supplier selection
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build productive working relationships and influence.
- A proactive approach and are forward thinking. You think ahead and foresee issues and solutions. You plan your time and your projects taking relevant factors into account.
- Assertiveness and negotiation skills
- Integrity and confidence under pressure – always presenting the facts no matter what the circumstances
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a management bonus, generous leave, life insurance, income protection, and private medical and dental care. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Leadership support and new opportunities abound, driven by regular dialogue and international training. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.