Packaging Designer - New Product Innovation
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Bonus, Pension, Free Onsite Gym
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionDyson are looking for a strong, hands on 3D and 2D Designer to develop innovative packaging designs. Working in the NPI Design and Product Experience team, you will be designing packaging and storage solutions for our existing and future products and categories, formulating a Dyson ‘world class’ out of the box experience.
Market OverviewAt Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Function OverviewThe Research and Innovate team sits within the Research, Design and Development department and is responsible for innovation and direction within our connected products program. The team comprises of four different areas (Connected Product Features, UX/UI, Technology and Commercial), which work collaboratively to deliver a seamless consumer experience.
This is an opportunity to work across every category at Dyson and will offer you the opportunity to re-design our packaging and the 'out of the box' experience for our users.
You will be a hands on designer, creating innovative, different and exciting product packaging for our existing and future products. In order to do this, you will have to interrogate, investigate, propose and innovate packaging and product storage. You will work hand-in-hand with the NPI Director, in close collaboration with the New Product Innovation team and Research Design Development in the UK, initiating early concept stage packaging design and design development.
Design the Product Packaging & Storage
Define and design the design, layout, material and process for our products with a user centred and ‘best in class’ approach. You will generate ideas that are both product enhancing and innovative.
Prototyping and Demonstration
You will be able to bring your ideas and designs to life through sketching, illustration, 3D modelling and physical prototype rigs. (Illustrator, Photoshop, 3D CAD etc…) as well as working with Dyson's modelmakers to create more complex prototypes.
User Trials and Insights
You will User trial options when needed to make a decision or validate a design. Managing and working with those responsible for insights, user trials and competitor analysis.
You will work closely with your product design counterpart to create a seamless experience of the product and packaging, as well as New Product Innovation and New Product Development category teams, insights, commercial, consumer science and South East Asia.
- Degree in a relevant product/industrial design, packaging/graphic design, engineering, science discipline or equivalent.
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively in cross-functional design teams throughout the project development cycle.
- Excellent product focused design skills – layout, graphics, sketching, prototyping along with problem solving and analytical skills.
- Software Tools (preferable, not essential) – Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, 3D CAD
- Comfortable with ‘failure’ in the context of multible iterationsof testing and learning.
- Highly motivated and collaborative – taking ownership of projects and at the same time being objective and responsive to feedback.
- Possess a good understanding of various production processes – how they influence design and fabrication.