Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Dyson began twenty years ago with James Dyson and a handful of engineers questioning everyday products, thinking differently and making them better. We are now the world's number one vacuum cleaner manufacturer in the UK, US, Tokyo, Western Europe and Australasia.
We've even branched out to improving commercial technology that frustrates us. The Dyson Airblade hand dryer dries hands in ten seconds, its also the most hygienic and energy efficient hand dryer available.
There are over 1,200 of us in the UK and we’re all inventive and hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson people are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes). We’re creative, collaborative, practical, enthusiastic and resourceful. But most of all we’re passionate about what we do.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewDyson have a rich heritage of cutting-edge design and are renowned for creating ground-breaking and stylistic products. There is now an exciting opportunity for a Product Prototype Model Maker to join Dyson’s world leading Research, Design and Development Centre based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire.
- Making cosmetic and functional models, prototype parts and assemblies for product innovation teams using a combination of fabrication, sculpting and machining plus painting and finishing.
- The use of workshop equipment to produce high quality prototype parts, assemblies and models.
- Working closely with design engineers and the senior team generating cosmetic models and working prototypes to define product concepts.
- To be a proactive member of a technical research / product innovation team who offers practical ideas and solutions
- To mentor and instruct junior members of the team and help to build a new team of modelmakers with specialist skills
- Use of workshop machinery (ie lathes and mills) and general workshop equipment.
- Confident in using specialist spray-paint finishes to a high standard.
- Ability to fabricate prototypes and parts using a variety of engineering materials.
- Ability to use workshop equipment to produce high quality prototype parts, assemblies and models.
- Ability to work from various starting points i.e. sketches, verbal instruction and engineering drawings.
- Ability to pre-empt problems and seize opportunities without waiting to be told
- Focused on expedient delivery, to the right level of resolution and quality.
- Consistent in the delivery of the required level of accuracy and quality
- Takes job responsibilities seriously, and conducts themselves in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to effectively communicate and converse with the product innovation and technology research teams.
- Develop clear, efficient and logical approaches to work.
- Proactive in driving our products to be better and made at the lowest cost.
- Willing to adapt thinking, behaviour and activities to suit the requirements of different situations.
- Communicate effectively and regularly at all levels required for the role
- Willingness to put the goal of the team before personal goals, and the ability to build effective co-operative relationships with others.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, very generous leave, income protection, and private medical and dental care (level dependent). But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.