Senior Android Developer – Connectivity / IoT
Bristol, United Kingdom
DescriptionDyson are looking for experienced Android developers to join our new Mobile and Cloud development team in the centre of Bristol.
Much has changed since James Dyson launched the bagless vacuum that started our business. In the time since, Dyson engineers have invented heat-free hand dryers, bladeless fans, long-life LED lighting and even our own digital motor.
Today, vacuums represent just half of our sales. And Dyson has even broader ambitions still. With a future technology pipeline spanning 25 years, the next few are set to be our busiest yet. 3,000 new people. 100 new machines. And four brand new product categories by 2020. So get ready for the next big thing.
Market OverviewIn May 2016 Dyson launched its second connected product, the Dyson Pure Cool Link (Winner of T3’s Connected Home Tech of the Year 2016), which joins our existing 360 Eye robot vacuum cleaner with its companion eco-system, Dyson Link. Dyson Link is our IoT solution to enable Dyson products to work in a connected environment. It includes the key components required to create an exciting connected product experience, from mobile apps, web/CRM integrations and cloud services
Function OverviewAs part of our ambitious expansion plans for 2016 we opened a new Mobile and Cloud development centre in Bristol city centre, around 10 minutes’ walk from Temple Meads station. This centre focuses on development of apps and services to support our growing and innovative range of connected products. We are looking for to recruit across a wide range of skill sets within Mobile Application/Connectivity; including Mobile Application Development, UX/UI Designers, Solution Architects, Tech Leads, Project Management, Testing/Quality and Leadership roles to research, design and create mobile applications which will transform the way customers interact with future Dyson products.
- You’ll be responsible for developing engaging and robust digital experiences to complement Dyson connected products. The work will be challenging, varied, and will help bring Dyson connected products into the evolving world of IoT.
- Interacting with team including product developers, electronics engineers, embedded software engineers and Cloud developers to ensure our solutions are functional, secure and easy to use.
- Software will need to interact with Dyson hardware using a range of wireless technologies to help visualise ‘big data’ for our customers.
- Your work in scaling solutions to match our growing connected product range and user base will be key your success in this role.
- Help to mentor other members of the team and contribute to system architecture and development process.
- A track record in Android app development – Java and Android Studio
- A desire to create class leading UX through your apps
- A user of TDD / BDD development methodologies
- Experience writing automated unit and UI tests (e.g. JUnit, Mockito & Calabash)
- Familiar with Atlassian tools including JIRA, Bitbucket & Bamboo
- Experience with Android build and release tools (e.g. fastlane, Gradle & HockeyApp)
- Experience developing C++ cross platform libraries & NDK would be a bonus
- An evangelist for best practice in design, development, test & Agile development
- Inquisitive by nature, you’ll be enthusiastic about technology and creative and tenacious in your approach to problem solving.
- Your communication skills will lead your engagement with the Dyson team and wider tech community.
- You’ll be able to estimate your work and commit to deliveries within an Agile development framework.
- You’ll thrive in a fast paced, rapidly changing and delivery focused environment