Vehicle packaging engineer
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
A number of Vehicle Packaging Engineers will be responsible the Vehicle Package Layout of a Vehicle Line.
You will be responsible for space allocation and negotiation within the overall vehicle architecture.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development center and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world.
This role is on the exciting new automotive project
- Create Package layout and Architecture development for Vehicle Level Design.
- Ensure the development of a coherent overall vehicle zone.
- Ensure resolution of cross functional issues as required.
- Propose solutions to package issues in the interest of the product as a whole.
- Participate in regular Package reviews with relevant groups to record issues, assign tasks and ensure progress on priority items.
- Ensure compliance to market regulatory and type approval requirements.
- For issues not easily resolved, ensure engagement of senior management to review options and suggest a design direction
- Ensure alignment of the package layout to vehicle and system targets and to the PALS attribute plan
- Ensure timely development of package solutions to support the overall programme timing
- Lead, guide and mentor other members of the integration team as necessary.
- Work with other functional areas both internal and external to ensure system integration and compatibility.
What You Will Need:
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent (other relevant engineering disciplines will be considered).
- A core expertise in at least one area of vehicle engineering
- Hands on experience of running design activities in NX, CATIA or equivalent design system.
- Proven ability to lead a team of engineers, designers and analysts.
- Able to liaise with Product Design and systems engineering teams to analyse data, identify risk and work on resolutions.
- Sound knowledge of FMEA, DFM, DFA, PLM, BOMs, releasing, GD&T and APQP.
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues in an appropriate, concise and accurate fashion, both in writing and verbally.
- Strong team work and influencing skills.
- Ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently, take on new challenges readily, possess a hands on approach and work with a can-do attitude.