Senior Employment Counsel - Americas
Starting salary will be determined based on experience and credentials.
Chicago, IL, United States
Our Americas Legal team seeks an experienced attorney with strong expertise in employment law. This role requires a technically excellent and pro-active lawyer to provide employment law advice to Dyson’s Americas HR function. This is a role with high responsibility and that provides an excellent opportunity to develop your skills and contribution as part of a dynamic and ambitious in-house legal team. As Senior Counsel, you will report directly to the VP, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, partner regularly with Human Resources and other Legal Team members providing employment related legal services. This Senior Counsel position will be dedicated to providing legal support including, but not limited to, day-to-day employment counseling on a wide variety of matters, wage and hour compliance support, immigration matters, benefits support, and risk management guidance.
The ability to develop and maintain positive and effective relationships with business partners at all levels across the enterprise as well as with colleagues on the Legal team is a must. Ideal candidates for this role will have in-house or law firm experience supporting consumer products and/or retail clients, strong business acumen, excellent counseling skills, the ability to take a strategic and business-focused approach to complex employment issues and an entrepreneurial mindset. This position will afford invaluable experience and opportunity for growth within a fast-paced and dynamic organization.
Dyson sells products in 71 countries, and it employs almost 6,000 people globally, one third of whom are engineers and scientists. The face of Dyson is changing rapidly. Three years ago 80% of Dyson’s business was full-sized vacuum cleaners. Today its digital motor powers cordless vacuums, robots, hand dryers, bladeless fans, humidifiers, purifiers and heaters around the world. This is just the beginning; we just launched our new Supersonic Hair Dryer and have a plan to launch many other new products over the next 3 years.
Dyson learned an early lesson in the value of legal might, winning a grueling battle against Hoover when it infringed our early cyclone technology patents. Our in-house legal teams have been at the forefront of Dyson ever since. From the information security experts and IP teams doggedly protecting our ideas, to the commercial lawyers and procurement specialists who solve our toughest business challenges across the world, to make sure Dyson stays ahead.
- Develop the position of the employment law function within the Americas as a strategic adviser, building engagement with the HR leadership team and business partners
- Provide expert, ethical and pragmatic advice on a wide range of employee relations matters, including disciplinary issues, benefits and policy compliance
- Proactively identify arising risk areas and work with the business to develop risk mitigation solutions
- Manage all formal and informal employment related claims and litigation
- Develop and deliver necessary legal training to the business
- Support HR policy development and roll out and create and maintain relevant precedents.
- Draft and negotiate employment contracts and settlement agreements
- Ensure awareness and compliance with federal, state and local labor and employment laws throughout the Americas Region
- Manage external counsel where appropriate, ensuring compliance with Dyson’s cost management processes
- Minimum of 5 years of employment law experience at a law firm or in-house required; a combination of law firm and in-house experience strongly preferred
- A sound understanding of all aspects of employment law and an ability to apply that knowledge pragmatically in a commercial environment
- Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Experience of managing matters with a cross border and foreign jurisdiction element, and managing external legal counsel
- Good awareness of the role of Legal in business decisions and the ability to actively contribute in the taking of those decisions
- Confidence and technical ability to be able to deal with issues outside your experience and the ability to learn quickly on the job
- Evidence of being a self-starter who is good at identifying problems and proactively remedying them, and who demonstrates professionalism, pride and integrity in all aspects of your work
- An ability to work successfully with a minimum level of supervision in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Experience in developing policies and procedures for ensuring corporate compliance required
- Full cycle immigration law experience a plus
- High degree of organizational and time management skills, with a proven ability to manage multiple, complex projects when necessary
- Highest degree of ethical standards
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally as required