Senior Embedded Electronics Engineer
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Electronics Engineer in the Technical Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Dyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The technical research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate our products from the competition and be ahead of the times. Dyson is expanding into several new and exciting product categories and is positioning itself as a technology company, confirmed by the release of the 360 Eye robotic vacuum cleaner, the connected Pure Cool Link purifier, the Supersonic hairdryer and investments in Sakti3 solid state battery technology. Successful applicants for this role will be part of the team driving these products and others forward.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewSometimes, making a technological leap forward means going back to the beginning. Since 1999, we’ve spent £150m building a motor from scratch – small, light and efficient, yet extremely powerful. Our motors are what enable our technology to be different – it’s why they’re protected by 20 to 30 patents. But the next generation demands new directions. Energy storage, robotics, nanotechnology and space-age materials. So our multi-disciplinary team, led by some of the world’s best power electronics engineers, knows that only the most pioneering thinking will do. That’s the Dyson way.
You will join a growing team of Embedded Electronics engineers responsible for designing hardware covering a wide range of disciplines, but with a key focus on vision systems and vision sensor technologies in this particular role. Ability to research and select medium term and long term sensing technologies, produce detailed hardware designs (both analogue and digital hardware) and carry out testing with selected technologies will be core to this job role. Candidates with experience in vision projects that include object recognition are desirable.
Producing software to exercise hardware and building demonstration rigs to convey ideas to others is also essential to the role.
A successful applicant will be expected to review relevant papers, patents and meet with companies to keep informed of emerging technology and develop roadmaps. The ability to identify technologies that may be used in future Dyson products to give a competitive edge and look at ways of incorporating these technologies into future products is an important asset for any applicant.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Ability to take technical responsibility for the embedded electronics content of a project. This may expand to being responsible for multiple, small concurrent projects, supported by a number of team members reporting to an Embedded Electronics Technical Leader or the Research Manager.
- Work with the different product teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using your expert knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative solutions.
- Develop the concept, prove key technologies and demonstrate designs are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis prior to handover to the development teams.
- Develop simulation tools and algorithms for sensor data processing, modelling and analysis.
- Undertake the thermal management design of electronic systems.
- Ensure that designs comply with relevant EMC standards and modify designs where needed.
- Assist in the personal development of junior team members.
- Write documentation for transfer to the development teams once certain milestones are complete. This can include concept specifications, detailed design guides and FMEA documents for example.
Education and experience:
- Minimum BEng/MEng degree in Electronic Engineering, or other relevant discipline, with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry.
- Experience in vision systems and associated sensing.
Minimum technical knowledge:
Applicants should ideally have experience in the following areas:
Digital hardware design:
Excellent general knowledge of microcontrollers, preferably including ARM Cortex M series.
Knowledge of a wide range of serial interfaces (e.g. I2C, SPI, UART, USB. Knowledge of CSI and DSI interfaces is essential.
Knowledge of memory interfaces (e.g. NAND, NOR, DDR etc) .
Experience of application processors.
Good knowledge of typical camera ISP functions.
Experience of FPGA design desirable.
Analogue hardware design:
Experience of analogue amplification and signal conditioning circuitry desirable.
Experience in vision sensing systems is essential but additional experience of other sensors is also desirable, such as optical sensors (time of flight, photo detectors etc).
Experience of C/C++ programming for embedded systems.
Use of Matlab or Python for data acquisition and analysis.
Experience of programming on Linux or Android operating systems running on application level processors.
Use image processing libraries such OpenCV and OpenVX.
Digital signal processing experience desirable.
Experience of VHDL or Verilog desirable.
Other key technical experience:
- Design Tools:
- Schematic capture using Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics or other main stream tools.
- Use of SPICE based simulation tools such as Simetrix and LTspice.
- Design calculation tools such as Mathcad and Microsoft Excel.
- Design Techniques:
- Circuit simulation and design tolerance analysis.
- Robust design including FMEA techniques.
- Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation.
- Design for high volume manufacture.
- PCB layout – size/cost minimisation while achieving layouts for inherently good EMC compliance and thermal design.
Essential behavioural skills:
- The ability to take a leadership position within a project, using initiative and experience to drive a project forward in the correct way with minimal management interaction.
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
- Able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
- Excellent team working skills.
In order to increase your chances of being short listed please ensure you submit a supporting statement in addition to your CV clearly addressing how you meet the essential & desirable criteria as outlined above, plus details of your current and required package.