Senior Electronics Technician
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionDyson offers a unique opportunity for a Senior Electronics Technician in the Motors, Power and Electronic Systems Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K.
Market OverviewAt Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Function OverviewSometimes, making a technological leap forward means going back to the beginning. Since 1999, we’ve spent £150m building a motor from scratch – small, light and efficient, yet extremely powerful. Our motors are what enable our technology to be different – it’s why they’re protected by 20 to 30 patents. But the next generation demands new directions. Energy storage, robotics, nanotechnology and space-age materials. So our multi-disciplinary team, led by some of the world’s best power electronics engineers, knows that only the most pioneering thinking will do. That’s the Dyson way.
Applicants for the Senior Electronics Technician role must have directly applicable experience in electronics. The Senior Electronics Technician role will involve:
- Electronics assembly, test and fault-finding Electrical / electronic
- Test rig design and build Advise on safe electrical practices
- Manage lab equipment including allocation and calibration
- Maintain stock of lab consumables
- Experience of working in the field of electronics
- Ability to understand electronic / electrical schematics and engineering sketches
- PCB assembly of complex SMT and TH PCBs
- Basic PCB test and electrical system commissioning
- Fault diagnosis, documentation and repair
- Knowledge of test equipment (multi-meter, oscilloscopes, data logging, etc)
- Knowledge of mains safety methods, double insulating, grounding
- Basic electronics design
- Basic electrical and mechanical design and fabrication
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Test rig design, construction and commissioning
- Proven experience of lab management
- Basic programming (i.e. PLC)
- Use of Labview
Essential behavioural skills:
- Excellent attention to detail and solutions orientated
- Displays drive and enthusiasm
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- Ability to adapt, in line with core
- Dyson values
- To be able to multi-task and plan in an organised manner
- Excellent team working skills.