Senior Design Engineer – Global Engineering
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re engineers, creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products & technologies for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
We are looking for Senior Design Engineers to work within our Global Engineering team to develop innovative new technologies that meet or exceed our aspirations, enhancing the company’s technical advantage in its new products. Our Senior Design Engineers lead and collaborate within multi-disciplinary teams to develop class leading technologies from initial inception through to manufacture.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewSometimes, making a technological leap forward means going back to the beginning. Since 1999, we’ve spent £150m building a motor from scratch – small, light and efficient, yet extremely powerful. Our motors are what enable our technology to be different – it’s why they’re protected by 20 to 30 patents. But the next generation demands new directions. Energy storage, robotics, nanotechnology and space-age materials. So our multi-disciplinary team, led by some of the world’s best power electronics engineers, knows that only the most pioneering thinking will do.
• Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept to production. Lead other engineering colleagues as required to support this.
• Champion great design to produce products that meet all performance and functional criteria.
• Day to day operational management for allocated Design Engineers including performance management, people development and all other line manager responsibilities.
• Own engineering development plans and report on progress to technical management on risks, timescales and technical issues.
• Deliver designs that meet specification requirements and that are optimised for low cost, high volume manufacturing.
• Develop 3D CAD and engineering drawings for mechanical and electrical components and assemblies. Review and approve work completed by others.
• Understand and apply engineering analysis tools such as FEA and hand calculations to develop concepts and validate designs.
• Work with other project team engineers to ensure product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met. Demonstrate system level leadership to optimise product performance and solve complex engineering problems.
• Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve design quality and efficiency.
• Communicate between all teams within RDD and Global Operations to ensure effective and timely input.
• Demonstrate clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate hand over either to other teams within the UK or Far East.
• A creative and agile mind, and a desire to develop your design and development skills in a fast pace environment.
• An ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the fundamentals of mechanics and an awareness of the integration of electronics.
• A broad understanding of material properties and manufacturing processes related to common engineering materials.
• A creative and considered approach to reasoning and problem solving
• A degree in a relevant engineering, science or product design discipline.
• An ability to work in both a cross-functional team environment and independently. Demonstrate strong motivation to get the job done.
• Persistent approach to problem solving and an inquisitive nature
• Previous experience designing manufactured products.
• Commercial awareness with a pragmatic approach to balance cost and value.
• Appreciation of the design considerations of high speed rotating machinery
• The role offers the opportunity for travel as required to support project transfer and engineering support at our manufacturing locations or to liaise with suppliers.