Software Engineer – Backend (C#, Java, Python, NodeJS, AWS, Docker, IoT)
Malmesbury OR Bristol, United Kingdom
Resolving the proposition for connecting products through working prototypes and evolving the architecture of our connected system, Dyson Link.
Things move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines.
And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewThe Connectivity Architecture team work on early product concepts to prove out connectivity ideas and establish a vision and approach for product, app and cloud. We are blending mobile app and cloud technology with machines to really improve the experience of using Dyson products. We're making compelling and exciting connected products that deliver ongoing consumer value - No gimmicks allowed!
- Rapid development of cloud prototypes to prove out product propositions
- Work with the New Product Innovation teams to develop creative solutions
- Work with the wider teams to refine and communicate designs Identify new technologies and deliver proof of concept developments for internal review
- Work with the Connectivity Architecture Lead to manage the team and refine our working practices
- Proven ability to architect and design distributed message processing systems
- Experience of using PaaS and IaaS platforms. Ideally AWS including ECS and Docker, min 5 years
- Experience of C#, Java, NodeJS or Python Experience of REST and MQTT
- Experience of Web API development
- Self-starter, able to take a concept through to working prototype.
- Good communicator and collaborator, able to simplify concepts for wider audiences
- Able to demonstrate a passion for technology and an ability to adopt quickly
- Mentor, able to teach and support engineers and developers in understanding key technologies and process