Robotics Engineer - New Product Development
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Pension + Bonus
Malmesbury, UK, United Kingdom
DescriptionDyson are looking for a Robotics Engineer to join our ambitious and expanding team in New Product Development. You will identify, develop and mature the innovative and transformational technologies required to enable the next generation of Dyson’s market-changing products.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with over 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. In 2017 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewAdvanced robotics will change the world of engineering for good. At Dyson, we’ve been developing robot technology for over 15 years – 200 engineers, 420 patents and £28m has already gone into our first robot vacuum. But our Dyson 360 Eye™ robot is just the start. The team is advancing the systems that make our robots more intelligent – able to understand environments and navigate with complex sensors and algorithms. There’s more to discover. The future is robotic. All Dyson products will be part of the internet of things. And our Robotics team is helping us to unveil this next generation.
You will collaborate with research engineers, software engineers, mechanical engineers and specialist engineering to help solve the wide and exciting range of algorithmic challenges posed by the ever expanding Dyson product portfolio. You will have a desire to explore and share ideas and techniques across different technical domains. You will use your knowledge of algorithm development for complex, sophisticated systems including hardware, software application and cloud-based components. You will be joining a supportive team of experts that is constantly striving to improve itself and the world we live in.
- Research potential algorithmic solutions.
- Develop prototype demonstrators utilising rapid prototyping techniques.
- Identify key enabler and risk areas of proposed algorithmic solutions.
- Work with the architecture team to identify functional requirements.
- Liaise with functional teams to understand relevant domain strategies related to the investigation.
- Collaborate with test teams to define testing strategies for new algorithms.
- Work with relevant implementation domains early in the development lifecycle to ensure timely and complete knowledge transfer.
- Provide documentation that is complete and with sufficient detail to enable implementation of algorithm by functional domain.
- Provide investigative support for any issues that impact or change the proposed algorithm during implementation.
- Ability to generate novel and robust algorithms and solutions.
- Strong mathematical modelling and analytical skills in MATLAB, Octave or similar.
- PhD (or equivalent industrial experience) in Electronics, Robotics, Computer Science or relevant engineering or scientific discipline.
- Experience in one or more of the following domains: Localisation, image processing, object detection/recognition, artificial intelligence or machine learning.
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary teams and technically support development.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently to deliver results within agreed timeframes.
- Ability to communicate complex information at every level.
- Strong C++ (preferably version 11) and Python experience.
- Understanding of systems design and integration.
- Experience of a Linux development environment.
- Experience using open-source libraries.