£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionAs a Research and Development Manager, you will play a key role in driving technology development within Fluid Dynamics to meet technical specifications and schedule objectives. You will focus on the technologies enabling better product functionalities – including delivery to the range plan and strategically formulating and executing our technology roadmap. You will work to drive technology adoption within the business, risk management and resource forecasting.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewWhen you invent something, the right technology often doesn’t exist to make it work. So we make our own. From moving airflow, purifying the air we breathe, delivering the optimal thermal comfort and making our product acoustically unnoticeable; Dyson engineers have enabled our ideas to become reality. As Technical Research Manager you will lead and inspire a team with a strong track record to increase our impact which will make us stand apart. Your leadership skills will enable cementing Dyson’s place as a pioneering global technology organisation.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented individual who wishes to translate their expert knowledge into real world technologies to develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, the successful individual has the opportunity to work alongside technical specialists and highly motivated ingenious people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
As the Research Manager, you will:
- Manage and drive a team of research engineers / scientists to deliver today’s technology for our Environmental Control products
- Plan our future technologies using both internal and our external network of partners
- Conduct technology readiness assessments, evaluate results and present findings in a logical and easy-to-understand manner
- Identify potential risks and anticipated points of resistance and develop specific plans to mitigate or address the concerns
- Promote best practice and capability in all aspects of work
- Opportunity to act as a mentor to other team members
- A strong background in engineering and research within at least two of these fields: aerodynamics, acoustics, turbomachinery or thermodynamics
- Experience in developing a technology from inception to product integration
- Communication skills to extend from deep technical discussion to translating our commitment to our senior leaders
- Strong understanding of fundamental principles, both applied and theoretical
- The ability to empower others and develop the team
- Experience with Lean principles and Project Management Professional designation are a plus