Research Engineer - Turbomachinery
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus, Free Onsite Gym
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionWe transform every category we enter with radical and iconic reinventions that work, perform and look very different. You will work in our fundamental research team, focusing on turbomachinery concepts related to enhanced efficiency, range, and acoustics of Dyson's existing and future products.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson, with over 2,000 people, including James himself, spending their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2017, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewWithin Dyson Research we define what’s next. At the very start of the new product ideas chain lays the technologies that enable them. Dyson Research delivers the long term support to the global company growth through technology innovation in our state of the art Wiltshire campus. Our New Product Innovation team relies on the development of key technologies for new innovative products, after which the New Product Development team carries them through to manufacturing; Dyson Research not only delivers the birth of new technologies but also supports those technologies through to their realisation and integration within a product.
- Fundamental research into turbomachinery concepts related to enhanced efficiency, range, and acoustics.
- Develop next-gen turbomachinery technologies in tandem with New Product Innovation design engineers.
- Work autonomously and independently to scope and deliver product focused technology concepts.
- Conduct/support research with external institutes and universities toward future technologies development.
- Design, build, and test candidate technologies, and disseminate knowledge to groups varying from graduates to directors.
- Present concepts to James Dyson and the Executives when required.
- Strong engineering degree in Mechanical or Aero Engineering (other disciplines with relevant experience will be considered).
- Experience with turbomachinery design and analysis.
- Fundamental understanding of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and compressible flow theory.
- General understanding of compressor entropy and acoustic generation.
- Knowledge of experimental methodologies; specifically pressure, temperature, and flow rate.
- Working knowledge of LabView, Matlab, and Python (or alternative coding languages).
- CFD experience is required; prior experience with ANSYS/Numeca/Concepts NREC software would be an advantage.
- Working knowledge of turbomachinery aero-acoustics (LES/LB methods) would be an advantage.
- Must be a clear communicator with good presentation skills.