Research Engineer - Method Development
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Bonus, Pension
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionThe Research Engineer will be within the New Technology Research team at Dyson and will centre on test methodology and rig design and build. The role requires an expert in mechanical and mechatronics development, with proven skills in documentation and validation to take projects from TRL 3 to TRL 7.
Market OverviewDyson is a fast paced environment with high demands on quality and novel innovation. It is known for its fresh approach to Design. The Head of this team needs to thrive under pressure and be able to deftly juggle priorities and flex to the dynamic and agile environment that comes with this creative setting.
Function OverviewIt takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each of product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, we lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why anyone can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
You will work closely with engineers and scientists to translate user insights and habits into quantifiable laboratory tests, taking the methods to high degree of resolution. There will be a requirement to work with technicians and across other departments, particularly during transfer phases to ensure the quality of the test rigs and methods being transferred.
You will conduct statistical and root cause analysis of test rigs and procedures. There will be opportunities at key stages to influence the direction of projects and concepts.
- Development and refinement of test rigs and methods with emphasis on validation and documentation for transfer
- Delivery of resolved test rigs with documented performance capabilities and limitations
- Close working with Consumer Research and test team to ensure the quality and relevance of the rigs delivered
- Transfer of resolved test methods and rigs to the downstream test and development teams
- A passion for engineering and problem solving in a performance testing development context.
- Able to execute experimental programs, analyse the data, summarise findings and make recommendations.
- Willing to challenge assumptions or methods, pre-empt problems and find solutions.
- Degree qualified in a relevant science or engineering discipline
- Ability to work effectively both individually and in a team environment
- Prototype and test rig design and build experience
- Advanced working knowledge of MATLAB or LabVIEW Advanced working knowledge of 3D modelling packages