Lighting Research Scientist
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
This is a specialist role sitting within the wider Lighting Research Team, primarily concerned with the delivery of fundamental research into the physiological and psychological effects of light.
You will be happy working in a fast paced, continuously changing landscape where decisions must often be taken based on limited information. Your work will have a significant impact on early stage product development of Dyson products.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewIt takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each of product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, we lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why anyone can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
Lighting Research works to ensure lighting projects push the boundaries of what is possible by developing the technological solutions to enable future generations of Dyson products. As a Research Engineer in the Lighting Category you will be part of a relatively small team, working closely with Lighting NPI on a small number of products delivering a big concept.
In this highly collaborative role you will be responsible for conducting fundamental research aiming to help set product specifications and support market claims in parallel with delivering the right technology solutions to enable them.
- Responsible for planning, executing and delivering fundamental research
- Pro-actively prioritise work inline with key category objectives and wider Dyson goals
- Promote the effective & efficient utilisation of Dyson resources
- Effectively work in close collaboration with other internal teams and external 3rd parties, ensuring that work will deliver valid and applicable conclusions
- Precise communication of actionable results to teams applying them to product
- Championing Dyson’s understanding in this area both externally and internally, pushing the understanding in the field and communicating this to claims, marketing and product teams.
- Accountable for delivery of projects on time, on budget and to specification.
- Bachelors or Masters degree or equivalent experience in life sciences or psychology.
- Must have industry experience applying consumer psychology or an understanding of underlying biology to products in a commercial environment.
- Familiarity with a wide verity of scientific methodologies including qualitative and quantitative psychological techniques used in consumer perceptual testing, statistical analysis and biological experiments.
- Track record of being able to simplify numerous complex and incomplete data sources into clear and actionable insights.
- Strong desire to scope work based on a deep understanding of the objectives of the work and the constraints from the wider business, including time, resource and product ambition.
- Creativity to apply skills to new areas and come up with simple solutions, fast within a complex and changing landscape.
- Background in the lighting industry, the built environment or health & wellness products
- An interest in photography would be advantageous.