Research Engineer - New Technology Research
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Bonus, Pension
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionWhen you invent something, the right technology often doesn’t exist to make it work. As part of the New Technology Research Team, you will apply your engineering experience to drive and contribute to Dyson's future technology.
Market OverviewDyson is a fast paced environment with high demands on quality and novel innovation. It is known for its fresh approach to Design. The Head of this team needs to thrive under pressure and be able to deftly juggle priorities and flex to the dynamic and agile environment that comes with this creative setting.
Function OverviewIt takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each of product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, we lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why anyone can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
As part of a team, you will research and develop technologies and products to support the rapidly expanding new categories and ambition within Dyson. There will be a need for tenacity and original thinking to develop concepts and fulfil the ambitions of the team. An ability to deal with uncertainty and communicate complex concepts to key stakeholders will be key.
You will work closely with engineers and scientists to develop technologies and products that will transmit a tangible benefit to the end user. You will have the opportunity to take these technologies to TRL 7.
- Research and investigation into new concepts and technologies
- Communication of concepts and key insights
- Close working with Mechanistics and NPI to develop technologies
- Developing concepts into marketable technologies with in the product milestone process.
- A passion for science and engineering and problem solving in a technology research.
- Good organisational skills, able to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and co-ordinate with the work of others.
- Clear logical thought and attention to detail.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Able to execute experimental programs, analyse the data, summarise findings and make recommendations.
- Willing to challenge assumptions or methods, pre-empt problems and find solutions.