Regional Retail Director - Dyson Americas
Starting salary will be determined based on experience and credentials.
Chicago, IL, United States
This role will work directly with group and the markets to build up the Regional retail network. The process starts at the very beginning, engaging with real estate agents and markets to initiate the site search. Following identification of suitable sites, you will work with the market to assess the viability through business modelling, seeking approval from group and the exec team before proceeding with the store build and opening process. During this period you will also work with the local market to ensure that they are building up the back office procedures and processes that are necessary to run a store. In addition, you will assist with the hiring and training of the relevant store staff and management.
Our aim is to bring our markets up to a level where they can run their retail stores as self-sufficiently as possible, while operating within guidelines that we have set in order to ensure consistency. All of our markets are at different stages of development and have varying degrees of capability – some markets will require more help than others. A part of this role is to identify the needs of each market and to tailor the level of assistance accordingly. For some, this may mean literally doing the job for them. For others, this will mean being on standby to act as a consultant, while providing them with the relevant tools and guidelines to ensure that they implement their retail plans according to the global vision.
This is a role that will require fairly extensive travel across the Americas region. The role will be based in San Francisco, CA and it will be important to split your time intelligently so that you can retain a strong connection with the group retail team based in the UK while providing the necessary support to the local markets.
Three years ago 80% of Dyson’s business was full-sized vacuum cleaners. Today, its digital motor powered cordless vacuums, robots, Airblade hand dryers, bladeless fans, humidifiers, purifiers and heaters are powering its growth in 75 countries around the world. 2015 saw the addition of Jake Dyson Light to the portfolio, and in April 2016 Dyson took its biggest leap yet, revolutionizing the world of Beauty with the launch of the Dyson Supersonic™ Hairdryer.
Dyson machines are unique, complex pieces of technology that typically cost upwards of 4 times that of the next best machine. As such, selling a Dyson machine is a more involved process that requires a thorough demonstration of the technology, while explaining why it is better than the rest. In order to do this, we have decided that we want to take control of the way we display and demo our machines as much as possible by creating a unique and differentiated shopping experience that provides an ideal platform to demo. At the pinnacle of this shopping experience is our direct retail proposition, which covers multiple formats from Flagship stores in AAA locations to Mall Demo stores in the middle of the aisle of a local shopping center.
Following the successful opening of a number of test stores, including the highly regarded store on Oxford Street, London, we are looking to further expand the network of Dyson stores and other forms of direct physical retail across the Americas region. This will entail a period of rapid expansion, which needs to be carefully managed to ensure that:
- All stores are built to a consistent standard
- All stores operate according to the same procedures
- There is no duplication of efforts and all learnings are quickly distributed across all stakeholders
- A suitable platform and infrastructure is established to ensure the smooth running of all stores, in the most efficient way
Once the stores are built, we need to ensure that we are maintaining that same consistent standard in the way that they are operated and look for all opportunities to further enhance their performance and contribution. This will require:
- Understanding of store performance
- Working with markets and store managers to embed best practice
- Assisting with training and developing local market stakeholders and store teams to ensure that they can run their stores in a self-sufficient way
Therefore, the primary objectives of this role are to:
- Partner with the Americas Direct Retail team to drive the opening of Dyson stores and directly operated retail locations across the Americas region.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of the entire Americas retail estate, working with the markets to enhance performance where possible.
- Work with local markets and group to establish and evolve the infrastructure that is required to ensure the successful operation of stores across the Americas.
- Minimum 5 -8 years’ experience in retail stores required
- At least 5 years of experience in retail creative design
- Proven ability to establish consistency of retail experience across a region
- Experience in strategic planning leading to operational excellence required
- Expert people developer with an emphasis on leading vs. managing
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred or equivalent experience required
- Ability to understand the Dyson brand and uphold its integrity
- Must be a highly motivated, enthusiastic team player, driven by creating innovative customer experience
- Dynamic, driven, energetic, engaging and ability to think analytically and drive for results
- Must have a high level of customer focus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with all audiences and levels of leadership
- Strong organizational skills, able to deal with multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to build strong relationships with all types of people
- An innovative thinker who enjoys learning and solving problems
- Ability to motivate, inspire, and lead a growing team in an ever-changing business environment
- Ability to successfully collaborate cross-functionally to achieve business objectives