Technical Project/Senior Project Manager - Electronics
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
Malmesbury, UK, United Kingdom
DescriptionThe Electronics Technical Project Manager is responsible for managing delivery of increasingly complex electronics systems into an expanding product portfolio. The role spans hardware, firmware and Application/Cloud through Development and Deployment. Ideally will have a strong technical and leadership background having taken the step, or have a desire, to transition into a more formal project role, comfortable working globally at an engineering level as well as managing and communicating at more senior levels
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with over 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. In 2017 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewWhen you invent something, the right technology often doesn’t exist to make it work. So we make our own. From advanced systems, components and power supplies to building a digital motor from scratch, Dyson electronics engineers have enabled our ideas to become reality. As our future products rely more on robotics, connectivity, and complex sensing and navigation technologies, our high speed electronics will stand us apart. From designing the hardware to the systems, that make Dyson machines as reliable as they are intelligent, our electronics engineers are central to our most pioneering RDD.
Reporting into a global Electronics Programme Management function, primary role is in execution of projects against committed milestones. Responsibilities include:
•Planning and scheduling of tasks across multiple hardware and software functions from Concept through to end-of-life
•Identifying and managing internal and external dependencies
•Tracking/monitoring as project evolves
•Identify, manage and/or escalate as appropriate, issues impacting electronics ability to meet commitments
•Incorporate, influence and evolve Risk management processes into Electronics and wider Project Delivery
•Proactive management of project stakeholders
•Effective and timely communication
•Senior roles will also incorporate Process Improvement and Mentoring
What You Will Have
• A formal or working towards PjMgt qualification (e.g. APMP, PMP) would be advantageous.
• A track record of technical project management within an engineering environment with a solid understanding of either the hardware, software or firmware space, covering full product lifecycle.
• Experience of running agile developments, especially using tools like the Atlassian suite, would be an advantage.
• A strong background in product delivery in global engineering organisations desirable but not essential.
What we are looking for
• Effective communicator: ability to convey complex subject matter and issues clearly, concisely and accurately. • Excellent interpersonal skills : ability to build productive working relationships across the business.
• Excellent analytical skills : able to assess problems thoroughly and drive logical and evidence based conclusions.
• Confident : comfortable interacting with senior executives and presenting a robust, high level summary, backed by data.
• Credible : ability to demonstrate a good level of understanding of engineering processes in order to work with design teams throughout the project development cycle.
• Assertive : readiness to press teams to take remedial action when required.
• Neutral: ability to shape project direction without imposing their own views or prejudices on the outcome.
• Ability to balance several tasks at any one time and communicate progress and concerns in a timely manner.
• Comfortable managing projects with high degrees of uncertainty.
• Demonstrates understanding of planning, both top down and bottom up, scheduling, risk and issue management and resource allocation procedures.
What Dyson Expects of You
• Proactively work with Leads, Managers and product development teams to derive, capture and agree required deliverables.
• Derive, communicate and maintain robust and efficient project plans at appropriate resolutions for the stage of the project.
• Act as the primary contact for the project both within our unit and the wider Dyson.
• Proactively manage project risks, issues and all project dependencies, both internal and external to the project. • Working with Engineering Managers, define and agree resource requirements to deliver the project scope to meet defined quality standards within the required project timelines.
• Lead engineering teams through the execution of projects, accurately and regularly reporting progress, including representing the project at various project, programme and product category reviews.
• Where deviations from agreed plan arise, taking ownership and driving them to resolution.
• Where this results in project change, to formally manage those changes ensuring all stakeholders understand and agree resulting implications.
• You will be expected to identify and drive improvement opportunities to both engineering and project management processes and support development and dissemination of best practice and tools.