Project Manager - Research
Competitive + bonus + pension + 27 days holiday
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionIn order to support Technical Research, a project manager is needed to support Dyson’s Cell and Embedded electronics for robot applications within research. This role will be instrumental in ensuring that the delivery of research technologies and projects are made on time, meet technical specification and are within cost focusing on Cell and Embedded Robotics Electronics Research
Market OverviewAt Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Function OverviewDyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The technical research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate our products from the competition and be ahead of the times. Dyson is expanding into several new and exciting product categories and is positioning itself as a technology company, confirmed by the release of the 360eye robotic vacuum cleaner and the acquirement of Sakti3 solid state battery technology. Successful applicants for this role will be part of the team driving these products and others forward.
- Manage changes in project scope, identify potential risks and issues; and devise contingency plans with support/input from the relevant technical authority
- Coordinate the teams to gain consensus on deliverables and assist and guide the team in understanding technical solutions and available options
- Prioritise and manage a number of project elements
- Constantly monitor and report on progress of the project to all stakeholders
- Present reports defining project progress, problems and solutions
- Implement and manage project scope changes and interventions to achieve project outputs
- Project evaluations and assessment of results on a regular basis
- Ensure the project remains within the boundaries of time, specification and cost, maintain and manage the Risk, Action & Issue List (RAIL) tracker
- Ensure the process for issues management and escalation are adhered to.
- First Degree (Engineering preferable) or equivalent
- Formal Project Management training/ qualifications are desirable but not essential
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Critical thinking and good problem solving skills
- Planning, organising & monitoring work to tight timescales
- Ensure projects are kept on track, by negotiating effectively and influencing at all levels
- Good communication skills, verbal & written
- Ability to form good working relationships with colleagues, customers and external suppliers
- Good time management
- Adaptable and able to use own initiative.
Essential behavioural skills:
- Good project management capabilities (i.e. estimating and planning, risk management, status reporting, budget tracking, benefits analysis, stakeholder management and communication, resource management)
- Strong communicator; ability to convey complex issues concisely and accurately
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build productive working relationships and influence
- Good analytical skills; to be able to assess problems thoroughly and drive logical conclusions
- Confident; comfortable with interacting with senior executives without being tempted to dilute unpleasant news or back down from well-reasoned analysis
- Credible; ability to demonstrate a good level of understanding of engineering processes in order to work with design teams throughout the project development cycle
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment
- Good written and oral communication skills, including good grammar and spelling
- Commercially aware
- Excellent team-working skills.