Project Manager - Quality
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Bonus, Pension
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionReporting to the Global Head of Quality Systems and Risk, the Project Manager will lead the integration of key functions across a multi-functional team, initially in the implementation of a new business wide quality management system (QMS) and subsequently in other major business wide quality initiatives.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewDyson machines are built to last, as well as perform. To do this we invest heavily in performance and reliability testing, building our own machines to test our machines. 24 hours a day, seven days a week we put them through their paces. We analyse data and customer feedback, relentlessly improving product safety, reliability, usability and customer satisfaction. Each generation of Dyson technology must set the benchmark for the next. And with so many new categories on the way, our Global Quality & Reliability team will need to be more inventive than ever.
You will define the project phases for each area of business and ensure they are delivered in a timely manner. You will gain a sufficient level of understanding of the project technical content to be able to communicate the project status to senior management, whilst being comfortable in challenging the paradigm where required. Working across all disciplines of design, procurement, manufacturing, quality, commercial, marketing, sales and aftersales, you will ensure an integrated project delivery aligns to the wider business strategy.
- Define, coordinate and communicate project plans, key phases and subsequent status between teams within the organisation to ensure effective and timely delivery; resolve conflicts and lead solutions.
- Information management – governance and organisation of project related information.
- Manage resource allocation activities against current time plans and support finance in overall project cost management.
- Take an active, hands-on role to understand how quality policies are implemented robustly and help support that implementation
- Challenge concepts in order to achieve the optimum process design within the boundaries of time, specification and cost, maintain and manage the risks, actions and issues trackers.
- First / 2:1 Degree (design, engineering and manufacturing preferable) or equivalent.
- Holds formal project management qualifications (APMP / PRINCE2) and can bring forward innovative best practice applications that may benefit the project.
- Outstanding project management capabilities (i.e. estimating and planning, risk management, status reporting, benefits analysis, stakeholder management and communication).
- Strong communicator; ability to convey complex issues concisely and accurately.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build productive working relationships and influence
- Confident; comfortable with interacting with senior executives without being tempted to dilute unpleasant news or back down from well-reasoned analysis.
- Assertive; readiness to press teams to take remedial action when required.
- Credible; ability to demonstrate a good level of understanding of broad quality processes in order to work with teams throughout the project.