Project Manager - New Product Innovation
£Competitive + Pension, Bonus, 27 Days Holiday
Malmesbury, Wiltshire, United Kingdom
DescriptionThe project manager will lead the integration of key functions across a multi-functional team in the development of a Dyson's future products, with a particular focus in early stage product development.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2017 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
The Project Manager for NPI will ensure deliverables are met in a timely manner and gain a sufficient level of understanding of the development to be able to communicate the projects status to senior management, whilst being comfortable in challenging the paradigm when required.
The project manager will work across all disciplines of design, research, procurement, manufacturing, commercial and marketing to ensure an integrated project delivery aligns to the wider business strategy. As the role is at the innovative end of product development the project manager will be required to deliver against a loose and changeable brief. Skills in managing a dynamic and fast paced environment will be critical to the role.
- Coordinate and communicate project status between teams within the organisations to ensure effective and timely input; resolve conflicts and lead solutions
- Ensure the team use established Dyson development processes, good engineering practice and discipline to deliver a fully resolved solution to the correct standards
- Information management – governance and organisation of project related information.
- Manage resource allocation activities against current time plans and support finance in overall project cost management.
- Take an active, hands-on role to understand how engineering problems are resolved thoroughly and help support that resolution
- Challenge concepts in order to achieve the optimum design within the boundaries of time, specification and cost, maintain and manage the risks, actions and issues trackers.
- Work with development teams to ensure new technologies maximize the performance of new products
- Experience working in a dynamic and innovative environment.
- First/2:1 Degree (design, engineering and manufacturing preferable) or equivalent
- Holds formal project management qualifications (PMP / PRINCE2/AGILE) and can bring forward innovative best practice applications that may benefit the project.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Outstanding project management capabilities (i.e. estimating and planning, risk management, status reporting, budget tracking, benefits analysis, stakeholder management and communication, resource management)
- Strong communicator; ability to convey complex issues concisely and accurately
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build productive working relationships and influence
- Confident; comfortable with interacting with senior executives without being tempted to dilute unpleasant news or back down from well-reasoned analysis
- Assertive; readiness to press teams to take remedial action when required
- Credible; ability to demonstrate a good level of understanding of engineering processes in order to work with design teams throughout the project development cycle