Competitive Salary + Bonus, Pension, Onsite Gym
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionThe Patent Searcher is a vital resource for the business in ensuring responses to search requests from the RDD, engineering and IP departments are actioned in a quick and efficient manner. As Dyson continues to evolve with new product and technology areas the demand for our services will continues to grow.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewDyson learnt an early lesson in the value of legal might, winning a gruelling battle against Hoover when it infringed our early cyclone technology patents. Since then, our multi award winning IP team has fought off infringers from all corners of the globe, doggedly protecting our ideas and technology. It’s a constant battle of whack-a-mole; as we win one case, another infringer pops up. Forget attention to detail – our team have eyes in the back of their heads and ears to the ground in every market. Working closely with Dyson engineers from the very conception of ideas, they make sure we’re able to rigidly protect Dyson’s lifeblood: our technology.
- Support current and future product development by finding, retrieving and supplying patent information to the RDD and IP departments.
- Provide a patent searching and analysis capability to the business
- Improve the alerting of technical developments from our competitors
- Graduate in a science or engineering discipline or equivalent
- Applicants with experience of searching technology areas linked with automotive engineering or electric vehicles would be particularly welcome.
- Ability to formulate and define own search strategies and evaluate the results for relevance
- Good knowledge of and experience with patent information sources
- Understanding of the patent system would be desirable