Competitive Salary + Bonus + 27 Days Holiday + Onsite Gym
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionOur Patent Attorney's will provide IP advice to the business as a whole and secure protection for the designs and inventions developed by the company and to advise on the appropriate extent of that protection.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewDyson learnt an early lesson in the value of legal might, winning a gruelling battle against Hoover when it infringed our early cyclone technology patents. Since then, our multi award winning IP team has fought off infringers from all corners of the globe, doggedly protecting our ideas and technology. It’s a constant battle of whack-a-mole; as we win one case, another infringer pops up. Forget attention to detail – our team have eyes in the back of their heads and ears to the ground in every market. Working closely with Dyson engineers from the very conception of ideas, they make sure we’re able to rigidly protect Dyson’s lifeblood: our technology.
- To draft and prosecute patent applications in relation to inventions belonging to the company.
- To analyse search results and apply findings as appropriate.
- To make recommendations regarding the protection of inventions in various territories.
- To prepare and file registered design applications in territories as agreed.
- To advise product development/research teams with regard to potential risks relating to third parties’ rights.
- To advise business in relation to IP issues in all areas as appropriate.
- To maintain ongoing contact with various specific teams and advise them on IP issue as necessary.
- To maintain up-to-date knowledge of current IP laws and practices
- Analytical Ability: The absorption of large amounts of information and the distillation of the core points is vital to this role.
- Communication: The role requires an ability to communicate points to non-IP personnel in a concise and understandable manner.
- Drive for Results: This role also requires an ability to get through the tasks in a timely manner without undue delays occurring.