Noise and Vibration Research Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus
Malmesbury, Wiltshire, United Kingdom
You will work within the Aeroacoustic team to apply your skills and experience in acoustics and fluid dynamics to invent the next generation of technologies that enhance the Dyson's technical advantage in existing and future products.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewIt takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, they lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why any one of them can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
The candidate will be responsible for the application of fundamental physical theories and pragmatic methods to provide noise and performance insight and understanding to the business through system modelling. He/she will use analytical techniques to add insight into experimental results to help drive research projects from initial conception, through the various technology readiness levels, and finally into New Product Development (NPD) projects.
- Provide, co-ordinate and support Noise and Vibration across RDD and the Dyson world.
- Drive designs forward based on sound engineering knowledge and ensure correct decisions are taken at all stages of the design process with regards to noise and vibration
- Mentor Design Engineers in best practice in terms of noise and vibration implementation in our extensive range of floor care and new products
- Develop cross-function system modelling tools to improve product development.
- Focus on technology delivery to enable our next generation of products
- Work on the acoustic performance of our class leading products from the initial concept to feasibility demonstrated
- Plan, design and conduct experiments to complement analytic work
- Analyse results, summarise findings and communicate these to other members of Research including senior managers and directors
- Liaise with development teams to ensure effective transfer of technology into future product range
- Identify potential research areas which would benefit from new technology development.
- Present concepts to James Dyson and the Exec. team, when required.
- First class degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or equivalent
- Experience in acoustics, vibration, fluid dynamics
- Programming experience, e.g. MATLAB
- Experience of Noise of Vibration measurement hardware and software for data acquisition e.g. B&K Pulse and Labview preferred but not essential
- A highly driven individual who strives for accurate results in every aspect of your work.
- The proven ability to work as part of a team or un-supervised to an agreed goal or set of deliverables is imperative
- A clear logical thinker with exceptional attention to detail