£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus, Free Onsite Gym
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionDyson is a rapidly growing organisation – we are constantly reinventing the IT function and the technologies that we use. Over the next couple of years, we need to build a huge number of new technical platforms to support our growing business and help Dyson achieve its ambitious plans to expand into new sectors. This will include a complete transformation in the way that we work within IT, and a whole range of interesting networking projects: whether it’s supporting retail team in commissioning dozens if not hundreds of retail spaces from flagship stores in prominent global retail areas to pop up shops and kiosks and shop-in-shops, transforming the way Dyson people connect with IT through evolved remote access solutions, wireless, campus and wide area networks, or planning and delivering brand new internal datacentre networks for specialised workloads such as Big Data and HPC there will be a lot to learn and a huge amount of responsibility to produce world class technical solution designs. The Network Architect position sits within the Technical Architecture team and works alongside other architects with responsibility for designing solutions across Virtualisation Platforms, Servers and Storage, Networks and Security technologies within Dyson’s IT design function. This role is hands on and demands business insight, technical knowledge, and the ability to think strategically. A key attribute is the ability to communicate to various levels within the wider business to identify gaps and requirements, and ultimately research, design and ensure successful delivery of WAN/LAN and other networking-related solutions and their associated technologies. This role is not only responsible for defining business cases for various solution architectures, but is also responsible for delivering high level design, carrying out procurement and vendor selection, through to low level design and continuing ownership of all technical designs through project delivery and following transition to operational teams.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 2,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewEnsuring Dyson’s IT infrastructure performs around the clock, around the world, isn’t easy. And as we expand geographically, taking on more people and more complex enterprises, our IT needs to continually evolve to face new challenges. Our hub of technical architects thrives on empowering and protecting Dyson with the latest and best business transformation technology. From servers and storage, to database management, network configuration, communications and collaboration tools, we’re investigating the future and providing global solutions.
The successful candidate has responsibility and accountability across several key areas, including:
• Network architecture, strategy and roadmap
• Innovation and emerging technologies o Proof-of-Concept projects, lab trials, vendor/technology evaluation
• Customer/partner engagements
• Works closely with fellow Technical Architects and Security Architects, and wider business users to ensure robust, highly performing, reliable and scalable network solutions are in place throughout all IT systems and platforms.
• Leads the development of network evolution use cases and long-term network architecture in collaboration with business stakeholders, partners and fellow technical architects.
• Designs and recommends network solutions to align with business, process and application requirements.
• Provides advice and consultation to various teams throughout the business on matters relating to network design and operation, including mentoring of network engineers and analysts.
• Last line of in-house support for Dyson network solutions deployed globally.
• Evolution of the wider Architect function within Dyson’s IT Design team through development of long term blueprints, and templates along with the vision to present these to the wider IT team.
• Extensive experience in network engineering, architecture, design, and implementation in complex enterprise level networks.
• Experience architecting complex, scalable and secure networks for infrastructure modernisation efforts.
• Experience in developing cost effective, dynamic networks with infrastructure redundancy, and network link diversity to ensure high availability and disaster recovery.
• Deep comprehension of networking concepts including network design principles, data flow identification, routing, switching, VLANs, IP addressing, etc.
• Strong experience in commercial dealings with Network vendors and Solution Providers – either as customer or as provider.
• Solid understanding of advanced networking technologies, virtualization technologies, and solutions including MPLS, virtual route forwarding, virtual device contexts, multicast routing, policy-based routing, ether-channel, QoS, traffic-shaping, load balancing, VPN tunnels, WAN Optimization, load balancing etc.
• Exceptional documentation skills that can clearly articulate technical designs, issues and constraints, procedures, and network assessments.
• Experience and understanding of newer network technologies such as Spine and Leaf, SDN, NFV, Openstack, OpenFlow and NSX.
• Understanding of advanced data centre networking equipment including Nexus 9K/7K/5K/2K, Catalyst series switches, Cisco routers, Cisco WiFi infrastructure options, DR integration, next-gen firewalls, VPN, F5 BIGIP systems, etc.
• Experience with enterprise class network management/monitoring systems is desired (Solarwinds, Nagios, etc.).
• Solid understanding of layered network and security protocols including: Layer 2 - Ethernet, ARP, STP, VTP, VPC, MEC, LACP, PAGP, DOT1Q-Layer 3 - OSPF, EIGRP, MPLS, DMVPN, VRRP, HSRP, GLBP, ICMP, ESP (IPSEC), IP - Layer 4 - TCP, UDP - Layer 6 - SSL, TLS, SSH - Layer 7 - FTP, HTTP, DNS, Telnet, SSH, BGP.
• Experience working with Enterprise grade network security appliances, IDS/IPS systems, Firewalls, Web/Mail Proxies etc.
• A bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, network design or other related field; or equivalent work experience.
• Professional network vendor certifications such as Cisco CCNP R&S, CCDP, Juniper JNCIS-ENT, etc.
• Experience with ITIL and Prince 2, and knowledge of formal architecture methodologies (TOGAF, Zachmann, etc.)