Laboratory Test Technician - NPI
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionThe laboratory test technician is responsible for performing testing to support test method development & investigative testing to support current and future new category research projects. The technician will be responsible for generating data and reporting results to the team along with giving recommendations on how to improve methods leading to best practice.
Things move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines.
And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewIt’s one thing to solve a problem that’ll change technology forever. But turning that idea into a reality takes solving many more problems – and success is ultimately measured, not by the thinking, but by the product. Our Manufacturing department supports over 1,000 Dyson engineers worldwide turning ideas into groundbreaking technology. Involved early in the design, we identify materials, pre-empt production issues and find ways to build more efficiently. Yet robustly. From designing the machines, to the machines that build the machines, we’re helping to shape the future of technology.
- Performing laboratory tests in order to produce reliable & precise data as part of scientific investigations.
- Preparation of materials and samples as required for testing.
- Ensuring the laboratories are correctly stocked and maintained (including equipment) to enable testing & prototyping.
- Recording and analysis of test results to present to senior colleagues.
- Qualified or experienced in a science discipline.
- Experience in a practical science role involving laboratory work, test methods or related disciplines.
- A passion for science and problem solving in a product development context, experience in commercial R&D would be advantageous.
- Able to execute experimental programs and complete analysis of the results, summarising findings and making recommendations.
- Good organisational skills, able to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and co-ordinate with the work of others.
- Can demonstrate knowledge of good laboratory practice including documentation.
- A keen attention to detail, ability to perform some repetitive testing & identify quickly when problems occur is required.