NPI Design Engineer - Lighting
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionAt Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re engineers, creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products & technologies for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewOur Design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big. The ones that transform markets.
- Design Engineers could be expected to initiate new product or technology concepts and ideas and identify market or performance opportunities from a blank sheet of paper.
- Take responsibility for creating and owning vision specification and business case for new product concepts, including development budget and running costs.
- Within teams, take a proactive approach in the generation of ideas – host brainstorms, gather research, select and present ideas and concepts to senior management.
- Champion great design to produce products that meet all performance and functional criteria.
- Invent & develop exciting technologies that further the performance of Dyson Floorcare category
- Design reviews with James Dyson and/or Executive, as required.
- Work seamlessly with research teams to utilise the wealth of technical skills in research teams to get best value from Dyson technologies.
- Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
- Use established Dyson development processes, good engineering practice and discipline to deliver a fully resolved product assembly to the correct standards.
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve design quality.
- Clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate hand over either to other teams within the UK or Far East.
- Communicate between all teams within RDD and Global Operations to ensure effective and timely input.
- Regular design reviews with the Design Manager and Concept Design Director.
- Day to day operational management for allocated Design Engineers/Graduate Design Engineers including performance management, people development and all other line manager responsibilities.
- A degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline or equivalent.
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively in cross-functional design teams throughout the project development cycle.
- Previous experience designing manufactured products.
- Track record of generating IP in technical discipline
- Knowledge and understanding of multiple tooling and manufacturing techniques.
- Proven experience of delivering robust design solutions on time, to specification and within cost and budget constraints.
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, following clear design processes.
- Practical and methodical design development through prototyping and testing.
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
- Good commercial awareness with pragmatic approach to balance cost and value.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills
- Self starter - ability to work independently.