Modelmaker - NPI
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionAs a model maker in the design and user experience team you will be working closely with design engineers generating visual models and working prototypes to define product concepts using a combination of skills such as hand fabricating, rapid prototyping and spray painting. You will have exclusive use of a customised workshop packed with equipment and a brand new spray facility to produce these high quality visual models and working prototypes. Dyson began twenty years ago with James Dyson and a handful of engineers questioning everyday products, thinking differently and making them better. We are now the world's number one vacuum cleaner manufacturer in the UK, US, Tokyo, Western Europe and Australasia. We've even branched out to improving commercial technology that frustrates us. The Dyson Airblade hand dryer dries hands in ten seconds, its also the most hygienic and energy efficient hand dryer available. There are over 1,200 of us in the UK and we’re all inventive and hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson people are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes). We’re creative, collaborative, practical, enthusiastic and resourceful. But most of all we’re passionate about what we do.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewDyson have a rich heritage of cutting-edge design and are renowned for creating ground-breaking and stylistic products. There is now an exciting opportunity for a Product Prototype Model Maker to join Dyson’s world leading Research, Design and Development Centre based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire.
We can help you develop a wide range of hands on model making skills such as:
- Using a variety of complex paint systems with our brand new spray facility
- Operating various types of manual workshop equipment such as band saw, disk sander, pillar drill, lathe and mill.
- Advance batch prototyping techniques such as vacuum forming and vacuum casting, making masters, moulds and casting
- Programming, running and challenging the capabilities of 3 and 4 axis CNC mills, CNC lathe, laser cutter and the latest generation of 3D printers.
- Ability to hand fabricates high precision parts using a variety of engineering materials and rapid prototype materials
- Hand constructing a range of challenging textile prototypes using a variety of fabricating methods • Work from various job request starting points such as sketches, verbal instruction and engineering drawings.
- Ability to effectively communicate and converse with the product innovation and technology research teams.
- Develop clear, efficient and logical approaches to work.
- There is room for career progression in an ever changing company in our ambitious team.
- Degree in model making, product design (with model making module) or equivalent experience.
We can broaden your model making skills by merging them with our expert engineering talents to creat visual working prototypes by:
- Developing your experience of basic electronics such as use of Arduino, wiring and soldering techniques
- Having opportunities to attend onsite and offsite technical workshops
- Using a variety of CAD packages such as Unigraphics NX, Rhino, Auto CAD and Mayka
- Working closely with mechanical engineers to help develop and explore visual models with moving parts
- Working closely with design engineers to create and improve interactive visual models including use of screens and LED lighting
We are a close knit team working at the heart of product innovation through to the end of production. We work in a brand new state of the art facility customised for our unique role. We work closely with design engineers across a wide range of products pushing boundaries in a fast pace environment.
Our ideal team mate
Our ideal team mate will have a keen eye for detail, enjoy the technical side of model making and seeking to be a proactive member of the team who will offer practical ideas and solutions for challenging problems. Our new team mate will have the ability to pre-empt problems and seize opportunities and be consistent in the delivery of work.