Lead user experience designer - IoT/Connectivity/Cloud
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet. At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewYou will design and develop new user experiences for our most complex connected product yet - taking these through their full development lifecycle; from concept, through prototyping then on to development, test, launch and continuous improvement. This will include interactions with mobile devices, however we will expect you to have a holistic view of all touch points and the overall owner journey. This role will include strategic overview as well as hands-on experience development so the ability to work autonomously and take ownership of driving work to completion is essential.
The candidate will demonstrate a solid understanding of user-centred design and behavioural principles. They will have proven experience with all parts of the design process: user research, concept development, cross-channel experience design, information architecture, prototyping, detailed interaction design and user testing. Ideally they will have some experience in developing connected products.
Responsibilities will include:
- Creating use cases, information architecture, site/system maps to capture requirements and project vision
- Creating flows and wireframes
- Conducting user research
- Creation and administering of user tests
- Rapid, iterative low and high fidelity prototyping
- Coming up with ideas and concepts, presenting various interface options
- Creating mockups, flow diagrams and wireframes
- Provide UX/UI subject matter expertise and develop design strategies during project planning phases
- Lead user-focused activities with business sponsors and end users to define design direction
- Facilitate stakeholder meetings on design rationale
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Interaction Design, HCI, Design Engineering or similar.
- Minimum 8 years experience in UX design with a focus on digital (mobile preferred).
- Experience in UX design for connected products would be advantageous
- Experience with industry standard UX and Service design tools, including user journeys, customer experience maps, service blueprints, site / app maps, task flows, prototypes and wireframes
- Experience designing for multiple devices
- Experience conducting qualitative and quantitative research, including interviews, ethnography, mystery shopping, surveys and diary studies.
- Experience user testing concepts and products in varying levels of fidelity.
- A strong understanding of Interaction Design and Usability
- Design of large, complex systems of interactions
- Design of back-office systems
As well as these technical competencies, by taking ownership and playing a pivotal role in our growing team you will display the following:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast pacing environments with a Can-Do attitude (no challenge is too difficult). Exposure to and enthusiasm for Agile approaches to software development would be an advantage.
- Hands on
- Start-up mentality, dynamic, independent