Lead CAE Engineer - Vehicle Crashworthiness
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
The Lead CAE Engineer will overview all full vehicle crash analysis based on applicable regulations and standards.
Things move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines.
And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded.
Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Our design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved.
This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big – the kind that transform markets.
- Manage the creation of full vehicle crash models from concept to detail stage
- Lead and mentor junior and senior CAE engineers to deliver engineering solutions and gateway status reports.
- Ensure consistent use of state of the art methods across the team and lead the development of advanced practices.
- Support the definition and monitoring of component, system and vehicle level testing.
- Help develop body and vehicle engineering standards.
- Collaborate closely with the Safety team to develop integrated structure/restraints solutions.
- Integrate crash performance with other major attributes, such as NVH and durability, within CAE, Body Engineering and Vehicle Engineering groups.
- Master degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent (other relevant engineering disciplines will be considered).
- CAE crashworthiness simulation experience.
- Experience leading a team.
- Experience with crashworthiness software: OASYS, LS-DYNA, RADIOSS
- Working knowledge of body engineering for crashworthiness, including first principles approach for energy and loads management.
- Sound knowledge of materials and manufacturing requirements, mechanical properties and failure mechanisms.
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues in an appropriate, concise and accurate fashion, both in writing and verbally.
Ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
Self-starter - ability to work independently, take on new challenges readily, possess a hands on approach and a can-do attitude.
Excellent team-working skills.
- Experience in Electric Vehicle Body Structures development.
- Experience of developing new vehicle platform.
- Familiarity with NVH and durability body structure performance.
- Experience with optimisation methods and tools, within crashworthiness and/or other applications.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.