Lead Cyber Security Architect - Hardware and Software
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionOur products are becoming increasingly complex and connected; combining highly advanced hardware and software and connecting to the outside world. You will take overall responsibility for defining and implementing the cyber security architecture for one of our development programmes.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewDyson products are innovative, work well and are valued by customers. Dyson electronics and software engineers have enabled our ideas to become reality. This role is working on a key new safety critical real time product for Dyson. It will feature our most advanced connectivity IoT yet sharing data on-board and off board with the cloud and external infrastructure. It is imperative that information and data transferred is protected from malicious or negligent intent. This person will be responsible for cyber security on this project
This is a broad role which combines setting direction with hands-on implementation. It will include the following:
- Define the cyber security architecture including setting overall vision and direction.
- Document, prototype and implement security architecture.
- Work alongside electronics hardware and software engineers and with IT, acting as the security advisor and providing guidance on security architecture.
- Maintain state of the art knowledge on best practices for design of secure systems, latest threats and countermeasures by reading industry communications and attending events.
- Plan and implement the security test strategy.
- Work with third parties to challenge our secure design principles, for example through independent reviews, penetration testing, vulnerability assessment, etc.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Software Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Computer Sciences or similar.
- Minimum 5 years of hands-on software development experience including embedded software.
- Minimum 2 years of experience specifically in design and architecture of secure systems. A background in connected products is highly desirable.
- In-depth knowledge of a range of network and wireless communications technologies, for example physical Ethernet, 3G / 4G, 802.11, etc.
- Demonstrated successful security platform design and implementation.
- Good understanding of software and hardware threats and weaknesses
- Completely up to date with latest developments and best practices in the field. This will include knowledge of: design principles for secure connected products, standards, assessment of vulnerabilities and threats, cryptographic methods for combined hardware / software system e.g. symmetric and asymmetric encryption, certificate and key management, etc.
As well as these technical competencies, by taking ownership and playing a pivotal role in our growing team you will display the following:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast pacing environments with a Can Do attitude (no challenge is too difficult)
- Hands on - Start-up mentality, dynamic, independent