LATAM Commercial Director
San Francisco, CA, United States
We are shaping the future for this organization and are looking for talented individuals who are not afraid to take on tough challenges and build capabilities from scratch. As we expand in our Americas footprint, we need a talented and strategic individual to help us build and develop our Latin America business in Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Venezuela, Panama and more.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for launching and building new country operations across LATAM for Dyson Americas, including taking responsibility for country specific profit, revenue, sales development, organizational design - building the business and then hiring the new team to run and develop once initial KPIs have been established.
At Dyson America’s, we are striving to change the perceptions of an iconic brand. While our history has been built around our world class vacuums, we are so much more. Dyson has become an innovative technology company that is expanding into many new areas including personal care. We are shaping the future for this organization and are looking for talented individuals who are not afraid to take on tough challenges and build capabilities from scratch. As we expand in the Americas Market, Latin America has become a critical addition. We need a talented and strategic individual to help us design and build an exciting new, flourishing Dyson business in Mexico for years to come.
Dyson is a global technology company with a unique philosophy - to solve problems that others ignore. It transforms every category it enters with radical and iconic re-inventions that work, perform and look very different.
Three years ago 80% of Dyson’s business was full-sized vacuum cleaners. Today, its digital motor powered cordless vacuums, robots, Airblade hand dryers, bladeless fans, humidifiers, purifiers and heaters are powering its growth in 75 countries around the world. 2015 saw the addition of Jake Dyson Light to the portfolio, and in April 2016 Dyson took its biggest leap yet, revolutionizing the world of health and personal care with the launch of the Dyson Supersonic™ Hairdryer.
Dyson is rapidly expanding; in its new and core categories, and across all of its global markets. The next four years are going to be Dyson’s biggest and busiest yet. By 2020, there will be 100 new machines, 4 new product portfolios and Dyson’s headcount will have doubled. With this pace of growth, these ambitious plans, and the complexities of global expansion, it is natural that Dyson is now thinking about the best ways to organize itself and manage its exciting new product ranges to best effect.
Dyson’s culture is unique; dynamic, inventive, technology-obsessed and decidedly un-corporate. The mindset is geared to constant change and Dyson’s pace brings constant challenge. It’s not easy or comfortable, but it’s this way of working that drives performance. Dyson suits people with the courage and resilience to find their own way, spotting opportunities where others don’t, and having the self-belief to persevere where others give up. “Good enough” isn’t good enough. Experiences are more important than experience. And attitude counts as much as aptitude.
What You’ll Do
- Establish Dyson as the global leader across all our targeted market categories
- Identify key markets and create sales and distribution strategy by country for regional business development
- Propose the appropriate go-to-market approach by country and find the ideal partners to enter the markets profitably
- Negotiate major contracts and work closely with the legal team and project management teams to enter markets
- Create metrics to evaluate success of agents and distributors as well as direct reports and extended team
- Identify the proper market segmentation for Dyson brands and oversee our brand strategy
- Oversee identification of local needs by country for PR, social media, and event marketing and ensure execution
- Collaborate with COE Marketing to guide appropriate collaborations with designers and producers or LATAM appeal
- Collaborate direct to consumer website opportunities for key markets and work closely with regional e-commerce team to launch sites and assist in operations component of fulfillment
- Manage direct and indirect team members located in various offices, guiding and supporting their market strategies
- Create demand plans and inventory buys by country in close partnership with distributors, sales agents, and internal team members, manage appropriate inventory levels at warehouse
- Constantly evaluate processes, staffing and strategy for enhancement and efficiency in a high growth market
- Be the voice of the global market for cultural relevancy relating to new product development and business plans
What You’ll Have
This will seem like an impossibly long list but to do all of the above successfully and satisfactorily in Dyson, people invariably have the majority of the following personal traits:
- Commitment to and belief in technology, design and engineering
- Excellent commercial understanding and good at getting under the skin of what makes Dyson and its people tick
- Good consulting skills and proven judgement of people based objectivity and intelligence
- Passionate self-starter, driven to get things done and make things happen
- Communication savvy and ability to work effectively in teams and across matrices
- Brilliant interpersonal skills and good personal projection
- Resilience, the capacity to cope with pressure and the gumption to ask the difficult questions
- Tenacity and persistence in pursing answers to problems
- Common sense and the ability to discern realities and the right thing for Dyson in complex situations
- An ability to influence at the highest levels through clear, informed and logical argument and discussion, tempered by a sense of humour
- A consistent level of integrity, ethical behaviour and an acceptance of responsibility for one’s own actions
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex and confidential issues and situations
- Global cultural sensitivity
- Desire to mentor and coach team members and provide career opportunities for growth
- Strong aptitude for numbers with ability to understand complex business and product strategies
We want someone who can come in and shape the best strategy for LATAM based on passion, potential and previous success. But there are some things without which a person probably wouldn’t find this specific role suitable.
- 15+ years of experience in developing new international business, ideally in luxury brands
- Experience in forging new ground in global markets, and evaluating current partners for growth and brand fit
- A strong understanding of global market dynamics and local buying preferences by country
- Proven success in a fast-paced, technology-driven international business environment
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal skills, a professional demeanor, thought leadership, and flexibility
- Outstanding project management, analytical and organization skills to support driving international objectives and projects internally
- Ability to problem solve, prioritize, negotiate and juggle changing deadlines
- Proven success collaborating with multiple departments while maintaining tact and diplomacy that lead to successful results for international priorities
- Demonstrable experience in developing large scale strategies and business plans
- Fluent in Spanish and English, proficiency in Portuguese a plus
- BS/BA in business administration or relevant experience