James Dyson Foundation Manager
£40-50k + bonus + 27 days holiday + pension +Free onsite gym
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionThe James Dyson Foundation (JDF) is Dyson’s international charitable arm. Working with universities, schools and government, it spreads an engineering gospel – inspiring young people to study science, technology, design and engineering.
We need a novel thinker to help us expand our reach internationally. The pace is fast, the charity business-like and the expectations very high. You’ll need to be an exceptional communicator, able to make sound decisions and have a fierce ambition to achieve to grow the work of the charity. Based at Dyson HQ in Malmesbury, you’ll report to the Foundation’s Global Head, forming part of a small team.
The James Dyson Foundation (JDF) – Dyson’s international charity – aims to inspire young people to realise their engineering potential. We send free engineering activities into schools, offer bursaries to university students and make capital gifts to enable new engineering education facilities. We operate in the UK, US, Japan, Malaysia and Singapore.
- Develop plans to expand the work of the James Dyson Foundation into new countries. Research, write and report strategies to the JDF trustees to obtain approval. Execute the plans in country, which may include hiring local staff to support activities.
- Develop our education engineering programmes to improve efficiencies and allow the work to reach more young people. Focus specifically on a school partnership project in the local area. Progress the project, measure the output and regularly present the results back to the JDF Trustees.
- Expand our student competition, the James Dyson Award, into new territories, including promoting the competition, managing the judging stages and working with the local Dyson PR teams on press coverage opportunities.
- Support and develop strong relationships with JDF teams in Japan, France and Malaysia to execute the planned charitable projects through frequent calls, discussing plans and obtaining support and resource from HQ. Report international progress to JDF trustees and Dyson team members.
- Thoroughly understand the international education scene. Develop an expansive knowledge of STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) education by monitoring education news daily and through links with relevant associations. Develop a network of relevant education and engineering bodies to share knowledge or partner with.
- Support external and internal communication for the James Dyson Foundation, internationally.
- Contribute to the James Dyson Foundation annual budget, in consultation with the Global JDF Head. This will include researching and writing the plans, making appropriate recommendations and getting agreement from JDF trustees. Monitor spend throughout the year
- Opportunity to expand the international JDF team and line manage a JDF Executive.
- Bachelor’s degree (2:1 or above) preferably in Arts or Sciences
- Proven experience from a government / think tank / start up / education or research background
- Experience managing a team
- Proven ability to engage and influence at an Exec level
- Commercial and business acumen
- Proactive approach and attitude essential
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Competent presenting to high profile and large groups of people.
- A proven ability to research new initiatives and develop strategies to achieve them.
- Ability to drive projects from concept through implementation.
- Strong project management skills. Confident in handling budgets and plans.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to a fast-paced, growing organisation.
- Languages are a plus.
Dyson offers a competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a management bonus, life insurance, income protection, and private medical and dental care. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Leadership support and new opportunities abound, driven by regular dialogue and international training. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.