Head of Procurement - Electronics
Dyson products are innovative and incorporate complex component design challenging creative thinking, to deliver world class leading product performance across multiple categories.
The Global Dyson Electronics team is responsible for delivering Technology leadership, through ensuring that component design, cost and robustness are balanced against supplier capability/capacity and Manufacturing capability. We are a challenging, assertive and collaborative team working with the wider business to ensure that product designs are realised on time, on cost and provide solutions that enable the production of truly innovative products that are leading edge and ensure Dyson success. We are hands on with product development, our suppliers, manufacturers and the wider supply chain to ensure that the very best possible products are produced to provide disruptive solution and technology for our customers.
Whilst it is recognised that current Dyson Electronics designs are looking to push the boundaries of component complexity, lead-times, performance, warranty & cost fall short of a World Class operation and significant opportunity exists to deliver a cost competitive roadmap that aligns with the Dyson technology growth path. The role of the Global Head of Electronics is to realise these opportunities, develop and drive change by evoking a new approach to the Electronics Category as a performance critical function for the business.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfill our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Neodymium magnets. Aerospace-grade carbon fibre. PEEK high strength plastic. Just a few of the materials procured to build just one of our machines – the Dyson digital motor V2. But when you design unconventional machines, you need unconventional materials. The Procurement department works directly with RDD on Dyson’s most secret projects. Sourcing high quality materials, and finished components with demanding specifications, means tracking down niche suppliers. It requires tenacity, speed and efficiency to meet project milestones. In essence, we need to be as inventive as Dyson engineers.
To establish, by 2020, a world class Electronics Systems supply chain for all Dyson products with significant (TBD within the strategy) savings.
Objectives to include facilitation, identification, management and delivery of strategic change in Dyson processes and procedures and Dyson supply chain that delivers increased performance, reduced investment and greater flexibility to meet the increasing demand of Dyson products globally.
The Head of Procurement role is fundamental to the improvement of performance within Dyson. Working from within the Electronics team but also with the whole of the Dyson business the role is responsible for:
Develop detailed strategic approach to managing the Electronics Category as a commodity to reduce the piece part cost and investment per product. Implement a platform strategy.
Establishing current business performance supplier metrics/KPI’s to indicate current state and set future targets across the AVL, piece part cost, performance, warranty & lead-time
Establish supply chain minimum requirements that support business awards, selection and de-selection
- Analysing and deciphering change / improvement opportunities to root cause and corrective action
- Driving / supporting the identification of activities, measures and projects that are required in the wider business to support continuous improvement
- Creating justification, communication and gain consensus for new projects/initiative to improve powers systems business performance
- Developing cross-functional contacts and teams for change / improvement identification, support and implementation
- Monitoring, communicating and driving progress on projects supporting Electronics systems improvements
- Driving and reporting of metrics ensuring visibility of improvements is available across the business
- Day to day management of Global Electronics team ensuring that close alignment exists between South East Asia (SEA) & UK team with objectives aligned
- On time delivery of the above
Person specification / Core Competencies:
- A strong background in Electronics, degree qualified or higher
· Significant experience leading and delivering platform programmes / projects in a high volume electronics industry
· Strong Effective influencing skills across the wider business and with the relevant Stakeholders across the supply base
· Clarity of communication – both to Exec, peers and across multiple countries, both 1:1 and in small group interactions at all levels
· A strong background in procurement, engineering to provide the fundamental understanding of day to day business operations.
· Technology hardware software solution understanding (end to end solution)
· Silicon development Knowledge and ability to support the design of the next gen products.
· Design partners Relationship:
This is a technical management skill managing renegotiating and amending system requirements identified by RDD
- Design and supplier assessment to identify the appropriate packaging and implementation MCM, MCP, SIP and SOC. Ideal experience would include, IoT wireless modules, integrated power modules and battery management solutions.
(deep understanding of IOT Packaging technology (POP, MCM, ASSP, SOC, BATTERY Technologies)
· Cost of ownership – Ability to lead the design team down the right path for future cost effective roadmaps
· The ability to balance the day to day challenges of multiple projects, progress reporting and challenges with a longer term strategic vision
· A tenacious approach to working
- Business process development
- Experience of identifying and implementing a continual improvement with people, processes and systems
– current procurement practices are entrenched in the way we work at Dyson and evoking a significant mind-set change in approach to electronics and platform sourcing decisions will not be straightforward and involve people, processes and systems – their effective systemic resolution is unlikely to be trivial
· Experience of managing and driving a Global supply base to deliver improved efficiencies across both cost and performance in a collaborative fashion
· Ability to Influence Internal and External stakeholders
· Technical expertise in Engineering fields such as Mechanical and/or Electro Mechanical.
· Deep Understanding of Packaging Technologies and Trends in the market place.
· Familiarity with operational manufacturing processes in both Mechanical and Electro mechanical consumer products.
· Experience within the Global Electronics Market and Supply base
· Solid knowledge of Change Management techniques
· Solid knowledge of Project Management methods
· Process development
· Knowledge of Dyson products, suppliers, people and processes.
· Formal lean manufacturing training in six sigma, etc…
· CIPS Certification
· GAP Certification
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.