Head of Procurement - Electronics
Dyson products are innovative and incorporate complex component design challenging creative thinking, to deliver world class leading product performance across multiple categories.
The Global Dyson Electronics team is responsible for delivering Technology leadership, through ensuring that component design, cost and robustness are balanced against supplier capability/capacity and Manufacturing capability. We are a challenging, assertive and collaborative team working with the wider business to ensure that product designs are realised on time, on cost and provide solutions that enable the production of truly innovative products that are leading edge and ensure Dyson success. We are hands on with product development, our suppliers, manufacturers and the wider supply chain to ensure that the very best possible products are produced to provide disruptive solution and technology for our customers.
Whilst it is recognised that current Dyson Electronics designs are looking to push the boundaries of component complexity, lead-times, performance, warranty & cost fall short of a World Class operation and significant opportunity exists to deliver a cost competitive roadmap that aligns with the Dyson technology growth path. The role of the Global Head of Electronics is to realise these opportunities, develop and drive change by evoking a new approach to the Electronics Category as a performance critical function for the business.
Our Singapore story began in 2004 and today we have more than 1000 people working here. At the beginning of 2017 we opened our new, state of the art, Singapore Technology Centre in Science Park I, minutes from Singapore’s technology and start-up community. This new Technology Centre houses some of Dyson’s most advanced facilities including Robotics and Sensors laboratories and Smart Home, Connectivity & Mobile Applications laboratories as well as an Advanced Control Tower with the latest technology to develop its analytics-driven activities.
Not too far away is Singapore Advanced Manufacturing Centre, our flagship advanced motor manufacturing facility where we develop our autonomous robotic manufacturing capabilities – more than 300 robots assemble our Dyson Digital Motor (DDM) here. It is here that we develop our next generation of motor technology.
Neodymium magnets. Aerospace-grade carbon fibre. PEEK high strength plastic. Just a few of the materials procured to build just one of our machines – the Dyson digital motor V2. But when you design unconventional machines, you need unconventional materials. The Procurement department works directly with RDD on Dyson’s most secret projects. Sourcing high quality materials, and finished components with demanding specifications, means tracking down niche suppliers. It requires tenacity, speed and efficiency to meet project milestones. In essence, we need to be as inventive as Dyson engineers.
To establish, by 2020, a world class Electronics Systems supply chain for all Dyson products with significant (TBD within the strategy) savings.
Objectives to include facilitation, identification, management and delivery of strategic change in Dyson processes and procedures and Dyson supply chain that delivers increased performance, reduced investment and greater flexibility to meet the increasing demand of Dyson products globally.
The Head of Procurement role is fundamental to the improvement of performance within Dyson. Working from within the Electronics team but also with the whole of the Dyson business the role is responsible for:
- Develop detailed strategic approach to managing the Electronics Category as a commodity to reduce the piece part cost and investment per product. Implement a platform strategy.
- Establishing current business performance supplier metrics/KPI’s to indicate current state and set future targets across the AVL, piece part cost, performance, warranty & lead-time
- Establish supply chain minimum requirements that support business awards, selection and de-selection
- Analysing and deciphering change / improvement opportunities to root cause and corrective action
- Driving / supporting the identification of activities, measures and projects that are required in the wider business to support continuous improvement
- Creating justification, communication and gain consensus for new projects/initiative to improve powers systems business performance
- Developing cross-functional contacts and teams for change / improvement identification, support and implementation
- Monitoring, communicating and driving progress on projects supporting Electronics systems improvements
- Driving and reporting of metrics ensuring visibility of improvements is available across the business
- Day to day management of Global Electronics team ensuring that close alignment exists between South East Asia (SEA) & UK team with objectives aligned
Person specification / Core Competencies:
- A strong background in Electronics, degree qualified or higher
- Significant experience leading and delivering platform programmes / projects in a high volume electronics industry
- Strong Effective influencing skills across the wider business and with the relevant Stakeholders across the supply base
- Clarity of communication – both to Exec, peers and across multiple countries, both 1:1 and in small group interactions at all levels
- A strong background in procurement, engineering to provide the fundamental understanding of day to day business operations.
- Technology hardware software solution understanding (end to end solution)Silicon development Knowledge and ability to support the design of the next gen products.
- Design partners Relationship:This is a technical management skill managing renegotiating and amending system requirements identified by RDD
Design and supplier assessment to identify the appropriate packaging and implementation MCM, MCP, SIP and SOC. Ideal experience would include, IoT wireless modules, integrated power modules and battery management solutions. (deep understanding of IOT Packaging technology (POP, MCM, ASSP, SOC, BATTERY Technologies)
- Cost of ownership – Ability to lead the design team down the right path for future cost effective roadmaps
- The ability to balance the day to day challenges of multiple projects, progress reporting and challenges with a longer term strategic vision
- Experience of identifying and implementing a continual improvement with people, processes and systems
- Experience of managing and driving a Global supply base to deliver improved efficiencies across both cost and performance in a collaborative fashion
- Technical expertise in Engineering fields such as Mechanical and/or Electro Mechanical.
- Deep Understanding of Packaging Technologies and Trends in the market place.
- Familiarity with operational manufacturing processes in both Mechanical and Electro mechanical consumer products.
- Experience within the Global Electronics Market and Supply base
- Solid knowledge of Change Management techniques
- Solid knowledge of Project Management methods
- Process development
- Knowledge of Dyson products, suppliers, people and processes.
- Formal lean manufacturing training in six sigma, etc…
- CIPS Certification
- GAP Certification
Dyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.