Head of Logistics
The Head of Logistics is a strategic position in which the incumbent will identify opportunities to improve efficiency and/or reduce costs and implements those projects.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfill our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Our Singapore story began in 2004 and today we
have more than 1000 people working here. At the beginning of 2017 we opened our
new, state of the art, Singapore Technology Centre in Science Park I, minutes
from Singapore’s technology and start-up community. This new Technology Centre
houses some of Dyson’s most advanced facilities including Robotics and Sensors
laboratories and Smart Home, Connectivity & Mobile Applications
laboratories as well as an Advanced Control Tower with the latest technology to
develop its analytics-driven activities.
Not too far away is West Park, our flagship advanced motor manufacturing facility where we develop our autonomous robotic manufacturing capabilities – more than 300 robots assemble our Dyson Digital Motor (DDM) here. It is here that we develop our next generation of motor technology.
Dyson Operations ensure every market has full product availability – requiring meticulous strategic planning. Working with Dyson HQ, global markets, manufacturers and logistics providers, the team coordinates launch timetables, sales forecasts and stock-flow around the world. Every day brings new challenges. A country’s exchange rate can suddenly affect demand. Strikes, delays, legal challenges all have an impact. It makes the team one of the most dynamic in the business. And with more direct sales planned to drive growth, meeting complex customer demands has become another exciting challenge.
• Responsible for achieving improvements in the Logistics Operations and it’s efficiency, performance, strategic development as well as cost base of the supply chain logistics infrastructure by undertaking benchmarking and competitive tenders and conduct periodic rate reviews. This include ocean and air freight primarily but also encompasses LCL, trucking (LTL), parcel & courier services, and warehousing service for selected markets
• Strategic price and contract negotiations with suppliers on an annual, or as required, basis
• Development and implementation of the supply chain strategy; at least annually the Global Head of Logistics will review and update the Logistics strategy in the light of business development and supply chain optimisation opportunities
• Identify and evaluate best practice in logistics, warehousing and inventory management across the Dyson Group and industry wide, including selection of providers, routes to market and use of technology.
• Agree best practice introductions and improvements for Dyson in collaboration with the market’s management teams, for both existing and new markets developments
• Operational processes; develop, implement, maintain and augment auditable standard operating procedures for all logistics processes and working methods
• Process measurement; develop and maintain KPIs for each operational process, showing performance against budget or target, explaining variances and trending changes and managing performance against them
• Improve and standardise product handling processes to reduce damage, costs and insurance claims
• Fully understand the cost of ownership of products from Contract Manufacturers to receipt by end customer (retailer or consumer as case may be) and in conjunction with Manufacturing and Procurement, optimize supply solutions which meet market customer service levels and minimize cost.
• Identify and develop logistic supply chain processes to allow route to market differentiation, channel optimisation and other strategic initiatives as identified by the business, key stakeholders and senior management teams
• Educated to Degree Level
• ACIPS training is advantageous
• 10 plus years’ experience at senior level in logistics/manufacturing operations with experience of detailed interaction with contract manufacturers
• Proven leadership qualities with comprehensive experience of leading multi-location direct staff, developing appropriate organizational structures and with a consistent track record of successful team and people development
• Experience in operating logistic operations in multi-jurisdictional locations including SEA, Europe and US, being primary
• Cross functional communication, networking ability and expertise focused on the ability to develop collaborative and value add relationship with Legal, Tax, Finance, Customs, Global IT, Global Planning and Manufacturing Operations with the goal of delivery on strategic, and tactical, objectives
• Experience in setting up and operating Supply Chain Control Towers to give maximum Supply Chain operational data visibility and control
• Strong negotiating ability is required
• Strong insight into current leading edge thinking in logistic solutions and experience in applying these approaches
• Strong analytical skills to demonstrate benefits of new approaches
• Strong personal communication and influencing skills to ensure early business adoption aligned with the ability to easily communicate across multiple layers of the organisation
• Strong program management and project delivery skills with experience of working in a matrix cross functional structure, preferably with PMP or Prince2 certification
• Experience in working with and developing ERP systems, preferably with SAP exposure, and affiliate systems and EDI interfaces. Comfortable exploring system improvement and alternatives to enhance the automisation and data visibility agendas.
• Ability to locate and operate from Singapore with frequent travel to support the tactical Logistics team based in Senai, Malaysia. Other overseas travel will be required at times to support specific markets and development activities
• Ability to communicate complex idea simply
• Results driven
• Analytical & numerate
• Self-motivated, independent, dynamic and results-driven
• Strong cross functional team skills
• Inquisitive & proactive
• Strong facilitator
• High work ethics & Personal integrity
• Able to work effectively under pressure & adaptable to dynamic changes.
• Demonstrated ability to take on challenges with a positive attitude.
• Firm and decisive with ability to react at shortest time possible in reaction to issues.
Dyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure we offer competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll have comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a directorship at Dyson. New opportunities abound in a dynamic, creative environment geared to progress, innovation and realising ambition..