Head of Engineering
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Initially based here in Malmesbury but then required to be based in Singapore this is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking for an international role.
Reporting to one of our Global Category Directors, this leadership role is one of our most integral, owning projects and driving their design and engineering for the future.
As we operate across a broad set of categories, we are open to a range of backgrounds from senior leaders with a great knowledge of engineering, product and category development. The role will require you to lead the category in the development of engineering solutions, ensuring robust engineering principles and best practice are followed and continuously improved. You will be a problem solver and an energetic leader who drives and develops others to ensure the team are prepared for the future design and engineering challenges of the organisation.
The Head of Engineering will be responsible for developing world class engineering knowledge within their discipline and to build well established teams of experts that apply their knowledge effectively to the design of Dyson products. In this role you must exhibit strong leadership in a Research Design and Development environment of technology challenges and aggressive time lines.
Clear technical understanding and excellent decision making capabilities are essential. Experience in managing product design and development activities within a QMS-governed development framework would be an added advantage. Following are the basic requirements for this job role.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of functional discipline
- Lead a team of engineers to deliver technically superior products
- Applies functional knowledge and methodologies to resolve complex problems
- Provides technical leadership to help others resolve problems and ensuring solutions follow robust principles and best practices
- Work independently, receiving some direction from Category Director, and ensuring alignment where necessary with peers
- Lead task forces to resolve business critical issues effectively, while demonstrating exceptional technical management skills. The ability to initiate, develop and oversee complex ideas, design concepts, proposals and procedures is considered critical for success in this role, along with the ability to chair project-wide technical reviews
Much has changed since James Dyson launched the bagless vacuum that started our business. In the time since, Dyson engineers have invented heat-free hand dryers, bladeless fans, long-life LED lighting and even our own digital motor.
Today, vacuums represent just half of our sales. And Dyson has even broader ambitions still. With a future technology pipeline spanning 25 years, the next few are set to be our busiest yet. 3,000 new people. 100 new machines. And four brand new product categories by 2020. So get ready for the next big thing.
Today, Dyson marries innovative technology, researched in its own high technology and secret laboratories, with leading-edge design to produce products that work better. The process from initial idea to finished Dyson machine encompasses multiple RDD locations in the UK and South East Asia. The mission remains the same; to solve problems that others ignore with exciting new ideas that turn convention on its head. To lead the way, transforming every category entered with radical and iconic re-inventions of everyday devices, setting the benchmark for others to follow.
Our Design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big. The ones that transform markets.
- A degree in an engineering discipline
- Strong change skills
- A leader of people and previous experience of managing a large team
- Global experience and site to site project transfers, particularly relating to South East Asia
- Experience of mechanical, electrical and motor/battery integration into a robust systems architecture
- Has led projects from early concept to start of production Industry & Company Experience:
- A senior leader with well developed knowledge and understanding of engineering, product and category development within a global organization
- Experience of technology/product/engineering environment
- Premium/high-quality products and brands •Proven in several companies
- Experience within a smaller/entrepreneurial/innovative/high-growth environment
- Ability to be mobile worldwide
- Possess a very flexible mind-set and the desire to do things differently in order to support the growth of the business
- A strong ability to manage changes positively
- A 'can-do' attitude in responding, leading and effecting changes
- Go the extra mile to do his/her work; is self-driven and self-reliant to achieve design excellence
- Believes in value-adding team members and organization
- must have the experience of successfully managing engineering design teams to deliver complete projects (for electro-mechanical devices) starting from design, prototyping through to mass production
- A good knowledge of new product development process and industrial trends
- Experience in managing product design and development activities within a QMS-governed development framework would be an added advantage
- Experience working in a multi-national or global electronics company Behaviours / Competencies
- Proven leadership and problem solving ability * Ability to manage and develop people
- Confident communicator
- A team player, able to work effectively with peers at all levels
- Strong technical background from previous Mechanical Engineering positions held and good managerial skills
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a management bonus, generous leave, life insurance, income protection, and private medical and dental care. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Leadership support and new opportunities abound, driven by regular dialogue and international training. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.