Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionThrough development and investment in new and exciting technologies Dyson is expanding into new and varied product categories. To facilitate the development of a new and exciting product opportunity we are broadening our expertise, growing our Engineering teams in both size and capability.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewOur design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big – the kind that transform markets.
HMI design lead will be responsible for creating early concept designs right through to fully defined HMI solutions. They will also be responsible for reviewing and agreeing the designs with key management and electronics teams. Candidate must have experience in developing user interfaces for multi tasking environments.
- Create innovative and novel UI concepts
- Effectively communicate concepts and ideas
- Understand and dictate control and feedback requirements
- Manage concepts with design and engineering teams as well as senior management
- Define detailed behavior of UI solutions to suit the requirements of electronics delivery teams.
- Play a leading role in developing systems for next generation products.
- Develop product feature lists and user cases to make rationalised design decisions.
- Communicating design intent through sketches, wire framing, story boards and prototypes.
- Collaborating with industrial designers, modelling teams and engineers to create seamless user experiences.
- Run user trails to evaluate design feasibility and analyse and present results.
- Create and own UI specs and requirements documentation through to production.
- Bachelor degree in Web Design, HMI (or related field) with professional experience OR Master's degree in Web Design and/or HMI and minimum.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience using prototyping and mockup tools.
- Experience with Usability Testing.
- Experience in mobile or tablet UI/UX design.
- Sound knowledge of materials and manufacturing requirements, mechanical properties and failure mechanisms.
- Good visual communication skills, drawing, sketching etc.
- Creative and methodical problem solving skills.
- A good working knowledge of MS Office.
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues in an appropriate, concise and accurate fashion visually and in writing / verbally.
- Be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
- Self-starter - ability to work independently, take on new challenges readily, possess a hands on approach and a can-do attitude
- Excellent team-working skills.