Mid-Weight Packaging Designer - Retail Communications
£Competitive + Bonus + Private Health + Pension + Free on-site gym
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
We need a Middleweight Packaging Creative to work within our Integrated Campaigns team. Reporting to the Creative Head of Retail Communications, you will play a pivotal role in helping us develop, design, create and populate product packaging templates for campaigns (both New Product Development and tactical projects). Working alongside the Graphics & Packaging Team (UK and MY), you’ll own the creation of localised packaging templates, as well as assist in the management of image briefs into the Group Image & Identity team. You’ll be encouraged to interrogate, investigate and propose packaging solutions destined for Dyson Experiences in both direct and indirect retail, across all product categories, for all markets.
Dyson is growing. Fast. More products. New categories. More visual communications. We are a
creative technology company with a global and iconic identity. Our mission is simple: We solve
problems others ignore with exciting new technologies which defy convention.
Communicating our products’ superiority with brevity and presenting ourselves in the right way is
essential to selling, protecting identity, and building our hard-earned Reputation. And every contact with our public contributes to the Dyson Experience, so each must reflect our values and philosophy. Perfectly.
The ‘Integrated Campaign Team’ is one of three core teams in the ‘Dyson Experience Group’.
Its central role is to take product and/or market specific visual communications strategies from the
Product Visual Communications Team and create fully integrated campaigns that populate all
consumer journey touch points, on paper, on screen, in stores and at events.
• Develop the skills required to interrogate briefs and extract the salient information
• Guardianship of brand expressions and the proper use of visual identity in all retail executions (packaging and POS)
• Creative thinking that takes already established product creative strategy and translates that into dynamic campaign packaging solutions.
•Close collaboration with category campaign creative teams to ensure that our box and other retail items are designed in line with the rest of the campaign.
• Build a full understanding of our various markets around the world, their cultural nuances and consumer trends and habits, and ensure that your work reflects these differences so that its optimised for each market
• Close collaboration with our in-house imagery team to create the assets required to support our campaign executions across all packaging solutions.
• Develop a thorough and constantly up-to-date knowledge of our competitors and their activity and use this knowledge to ensure that Dyson campaigns cut through the noise and stand us apart
• Close collaboration with the Graphics & Packaging team to determine appropriate box structures and orientations suitable for Dyson Experiences in both direct and indirect retail.
• Strong graphic design skills with an inherent understanding of how to use typography, colour
and composition to create visual coherence, emphasis and hierarchy
• Responsibility for managing your own workflow and reporting up to the Creative Head of Retail Communications on project status and challenges etc
You must have an eye for detail, and obsess over accuracy. You must quickly become a Dyson
visual identity expert and guardian, with a complete understanding of our identity guidelines,
to ensure that all Dyson packaging and retail marcomms not only clearly communicate the right messages, but present the messages in a ‘Dyson’ way.
You must have (or quickly develop) an understanding of Dyson, its engineering ethos and visual
identity and have good judgement as to what makes good Dyson communication and what
doesn’t. You will have a degree or equivalent in Graphic Design, and ideally 3+ years industry
experience. A strong technical understanding of typography and grid systems is essential. As is an
understanding of information hierarchy to deliver complex messages through clear, and balanced
You will be an expert in InDesign, have good knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator (the ability to use 3D rendering software for visualisation purposes would be an advantage, but isn’t a necessity). You must also understand design production – with some experience of art working and pre-press.
You should be enthusiastic, take pride in your work. We set the global benchmark for graphic
design at Dyson, so everything we do has to be perfect. Comfortable working as part of a team, you’ll thrive in a high-pressure work environment.
You’ll have a natural propensity to push and explore ideas beyond the norm and you’ll be
comfortable in voicing your opinions whilst ensuring that you articulate your ideas objectively and
with sound reason.
You’ll be ambitious and looking for an opportunity to step up to the next level. As part of that you’ll be looking to start developing an understanding of what’s required to lead and guide others ahead of taking on direct reports of your own.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.