Global Quality Manager - Professional Services
DescriptionThe Global Quality Manager role will own all aspects of the quality of Dyson products throughout the product lifecycle.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewNeodymium magnets. Aerospace-grade carbon fibre. PEEK high strength plastic. Just a few of the materials procured to build just one of our machines – the Dyson digital motor V2. But when you design unconventional machines, you need unconventional materials. The Cost department works directly with RDD on Dyson’s most secret projects. Sourcing high quality materials, and finished components with demanding specifications, means tracking down niche suppliers. It requires tenacity, speed and efficiency to meet project milestones. In essence, we need to be as inventive as Dyson engineers.
This is a matrix managed position with line management through the Global Quality Team but a strong accountability to the Category Director for Professional. The role is customer focused and with direct responsibility to ensure that the business has clear visibility of quality issues in market and anticipated quality issues on new products and that appropriate action and/or escalation is taken where quality issues exist. The role will develop and with support from the wider business drive the whole category and individual product quality plans that cover in market and development product and include improvement in design, build, supply and support of products. The majority of quality issues will be anticipated and mitigated, on occasion this will not be possible and in those instances the role has accountability for ensuring lessons are learned and the resultant issues are managed. This is a senior role within the quality and category organisations and the individual will be expected to play a leadership role wider than the specific brief and will be engaged in growing the category.
- Ensure that the business is able to make fully informed decisions about the safety, reliability and levels of expected consumer customer satisfaction with a new product launch
- Assess the quality (safety/reliability/satisfaction and manufacturing controls) of the product in market and in development
- Develop and drive a category quality strategy (owned by the category) within with individual product and project decision can be coherently made
- Ensure risks to category quality are identified, scaled and relevant mitigation plans are put in place. Communicate and escalate where significant corrective action (rework/recall) is required and then lead corrective action throughout product life until retirement from market
- Make effective use of business processes (e.g. Milestone process) to drive quality
- Continually drive for improvement in visibility of quality status. Lead and manage a cross functional team to drive quality
- Single focus for every aspect of quality of the category into the category and wider business including safety, reliability, product satisfaction and manufacturing quality
- Use the wider quality team (for instance in manufacturing quality, safety, data, markets) to understand and drive quality
- Strongly input quality specifications and risks into early stage product development
- Directly lead and manage a global team (UK and SEA)
- Take budget responsibility for quality within the category. To be the focal point for any quality issue within the category and to drive appropriate resolution of all issues.
- Evaluate the quality of all products in market and prioritise issues to be resolved.
- Lead the resolution of all quality issues in category using your own cross functional team and influence with the wider engineering, operations, supplier quality and commercial organisations
This role is a leadership role with responsibility for all aspects of the quality of the category, but particularly to ensure clear visibility and escalation of issues. The holder of the role will be expected to be a contributor to executive discussions, category discussion and quality discussions around quality at Dyson, both current and future strategy.
- Engineering, quality or operations with a consumer product context
- Senior level (director and executive) communication
- First hand experience of engineering, manufacturing or procurement problems and their resolution.
- Impeccable integrity in dealing with people and problems.
- Ability to combine a positive and “can do” attitude with a healthy skepticism and independence of thought.
- Able to operate in a matrix organisation – combining direct leadership and influence.