Floorcare Test Technician
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Bonus, Pension
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
DescriptionWorking as part of a team of test technicians, this role requires you to conduct standard and development tests to validate sub-assembly and total product performance for future Dyson products.
Dyson OverviewThings move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines. And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
Market OverviewHome to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewIt’s one thing to solve a problem that’ll change technology forever. But turning that idea into a reality takes solving many more problems – and success is ultimately measured, not by the thinking, but by the product. Our Manufacturing department supports over 1,000 Dyson engineers worldwide turning ideas into groundbreaking technology. Involved early in the design, we identify materials, pre-empt production issues and find ways to build more efficiently. Yet robustly. From designing the machines, to the machines that build the machines, we’re helping to shape the future of technology.
- Carry out testing duties (including customer communication/results reporting) in a professional manner, to agreed timescales and to the highest quality standards, adhering to required processes & procedures, recording & communicating results/outputs clearly
- Execute duties which support testing tasks in a timely manner and to schedule where appropriate to minimise unexpected down-time / delays e.g. prototype product maintenance, equipment calibration, test preparation, scheduled lab maintenance, housekeeping, material ordering
- Write test reports and event summaries
- Learn and maintain knowledge of team-specific specialism’s e.g. test procedures, physical principles, materials, product development risks, equipment, instrumentation • Lead some training/induction activities as required
- Participate in continuous improvement activities
- Contribute to the development of new test methods
- Specific training will be provided
- Previous experience in a test environment and demonstrated competency in the skills required for a test role highly desirable
- Knowledge of basic mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, instrumentation and airflow systems desirable
- Qualification in electrical safety testing or risk assessments desirable
- Quality focus and attention to detail – able to execute duties, following detailed instructions/processes/procedures to the letter where required, in a repeatable, consistent manner and to suitable timelines
- Thorough and logical approach
- Ability to create accurate documentation and keep detailed records
- Demonstrate drive, enthusiasm, self motivation and teamwork skills and an ability to work conscientiously without direct supervision
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Basic level of MS Word and Excel