Advanced Electronics Engineer - Sensors
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
Malmesbury, UK, United Kingdom
The Advanced Electronics Engineer - Sensors will be working with engineers and scientists on multiple R&D projects. They will be able to architect and manage the development of complex electronic systems providing a vision for the balance of hardware and software
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Function OverviewWhen you invent something, the right technology often doesn’t exist to make it work. So we make our own. From advanced systems, components and power supplies to building a digital motor from scratch, Dyson electronics engineers have enabled our ideas to become reality. As our future products rely more on robotics, connectivity, and complex sensing and navigation technologies, our high speed electronics will stand us apart. From designing the hardware to the systems, that make Dyson machines as reliable as they are intelligent, our electronics engineers are central to our most pioneering RDD.
You will be involved in the design, build and test of sub-systems including multiple types of sensor or actuator. You will use your broad knowledge of hardware and software to develop prototypes and then take these designs into production.
- Solve complex problems in novel ways
- Design systems including sensors and/or actuators, conditioning circuits and signal processing
- Debug complex hardware and software problems
- Take ownership of assigned tasks and ensure they are completed according to the appropriate process
- Review designs from other engineers to ensure quality
Support the other engineers on the team and contribute to group knowledge
- A good degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Electronics Engineering, Physics)
- Some previous experience working on the design, implementation and testing of electronic systems
- Excellent analogue and digital electronics fundamentals
- Proficiency in at least one of the major schematic capture and layout packages
- Modelling and analytical skills in MATLAB or similar
- Experience with embedded MCUs and of implementing at least one
- Embedded firmware capability in C
- Analogue circuit design techniques
- Sampling theory and Digital Signal Processing implementation
- Knowledge of physics and a passion to apply it to smart technology